Two Kenyan referees receive Afcon call up
Top Kenyan referee Davies Omweno has surprisingly been left out of the provisional list for match officials during this year’s Africa Cup of Nations finals in Egypt.
Instead, Confederation of African Football (CAF) has picked university don Peter Waweru and assistant referee Gilbert Cheruiyot in a 56-man provisional list.
Omweno’s star has been on the rise despite a three-month suspension by CAF two years ago and was expected to be picked for the three-week event that kicks off on June 21.
It is not surprising for Waweru to have been shortlisted given his performance in the local league and experience in handling high profile matches.
Cheruiyot has been quite instrumental on the local scene and was last season named the most improved assistant referee. If he makes the cut, it will be his second biggest assignment as he took part in the 2016 Africa Nations Championships (CHAN) in Rwanda.
SportPesa Premier League (SPL) head of security committee and former referee G.M.T Otieno challenged the duo to maintain integrity during the tournament.
“I wish to congratulate them but at the same time to remind them that they are representing the country and must, therefore, carry themselves with utmost integrity,” he said.
Tunisia and Egypt have the highest number of centre referees with three each while Morocco and Algeria have two. Apart from Kenya, other East African countries with centre referees selected include Burundi, Sudan and Ethiopia. Uganda and Tanzania have missed out.
Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt Senegal and Tunisia also have two assistant referees each in the provisional list.
- Wilfried Zaha breaks silence on Arsenal transfer link and gives fans much-needed hopeFootball 1 month ago
- Big Boys don’t cry: Which way next for Golf Majors?Golf 1 month ago
- Nigeria suffers shock loss to AFCON debutants MadagascarFootball 1 month ago
- Former Barcelona, Man City legend signs for new clubFootball 1 month ago
- Why Wanyama will still be forced out of Tottenham even if Eriksen departsFootball 1 month ago
- Uhuru leads Kenyans in mourning KadengeFootball 1 month ago
- Champions League pitch invader arrested trying to do the same at Copa AmericaFootball 1 month ago