Man Utd's David de Gea a wanted man again after Zinedine’s return
Manchester United face a new fight to keep David de Gea following Zinedine Zidane’s return as Real Madrid boss.
Zidane is a big admirer of the Spain keeper, and he will make him a key target as he sets about rebuilding the deposed European champions, whose attempt to win the Champions League for a fourth season running was ended this month with a shock home loss to Dutch side Ajax in the last 16.
Madrid president Florentino Perez has promised Zidane a mountain of cash in the summer to back up the Frenchman’s plans to revitalise a club where he won the Champions League in every one of his three seasons in charge, and also took the 2016-17 La Liga title
And around £75million of it has been reserved for attempting to entice 28-year-old De Gea, whose contract with United runs out next summer, back to his hometown.
Old Trafford bosses are currently in talks with the player over a new £350,000-a-week deal having triggered their option to extend his present contract until 2020 and are confident that he will sign eventually, but news of Madrid’s renewed interest will spook them.
Madrid only signed Chelsea No.1 Thibaut Courtois for £35m last summer, but it is believed Zidane — back in the Bernabeu hot-seat less than a year after quitting, following the failures of successors Julen Lopetegui and Santi Solari — is not convinced by the Belgian stopper.
- Manchester United set to sign £107million Barcelona target SUPERSTAR Football 1 day ago
- 15 Manchester United players with expiring contracts revealed Premier League 1 month ago
- 10 Premier League players that could be sold this summerFootball 1 month ago
- Mashemeji Derby: K’Ogalo and Ingwe set to renew rivalryFootball 1 week ago
- Deulofeu double fires Watford into FA Cup finalFootball 1 month ago
- Paris Marathon: Sunday event to attract 60,000 competitors Athletics 1 month ago
- Six Legendary comebacks after Tottenham heroics on Wednesday nightFootball 2 weeks ago