Josephat Bett and Brilliant Kipkoech win Beyond Zero Half Marathon
Josephat Bett and Brilliant Kipkoech are the winners of the Beyond Zero Half Marathon that took place in Nairobi on Sunday where thousands of athletes and dignitaries took part.
Josephat Bett won the men's race category in 01:01:34 while Brilliant Kipkoech crossed the finish line in 1:07:02.
The marathon, which was sponsored by Safaricom, an initiative of First Lady Margaret Kenyatta which aims at curbing maternal deaths and child mortality, kicked off at 6:00 am at the new-look Nyayo National Stadium today.
It was attended by prominent personalities among them DP William Ruto, Sports CS Amina Mohamed, former Prime Minister of Ethiopia Hailemariam Besalegn, Makueni Governor Kivutha Kibwana and Central Bank Governor Patrick Njoroge.
The event, which attracted more than 50,000 participants, was divided into several categories including 21 km half marathon, 10 km marathon and corporate race, five-kilometre race and two-kilometre for pregnant women as well as Paralympic race for T11, T12 and T13
The First Lady took part in the 10 km race and made it to the finishing line where she was received by President Uhuru Kenyatta while the other participants cheered on.
DP William Ruto also showcased his athletic skills by participating in the 21 km race.
The Paralympians debuted the event with the 21 km wheelchair/tri-cycle race which was officially flagged off by the First Lady.
The first three participants to cross the finishing line in the half marathon will walk away with Sh250,000, Sh125,000 and Sh75,000 respectively while the 10km race top three finishers will get Sh100,000, Sh60,000 and Sh40,000 respectively.
- Sofapaka miss chance to narrow gap on SPL leaders Gor MahiaFootball 3 weeks ago
- How Griezmann could end up being a Man United playerFootball 3 days ago
- Lukaku’s mother star-struck at Old Trafford after meeting Lionel Messi [photos]Football 1 month ago
- Salah calls for change in treatment of women in Muslim worldSports 1 month ago
- Paul Pogba's agent Mino Raiola handed WORLDWIDE transfer banFootball 1 week ago
- Kylian Mbappe on the move? Premier League clubs on red alertGossip & Rumours 4 weeks ago
- Sarri makes shock Chelsea quit admission ahead of Europa League finalFootball 22 hours ago