Fulham 1-2 Chelsea: Higuain and Jorginho give Blues west London derby victory
Gonzalo Higuain and Jorginho were on target as Chelsea won 2-1 at Craven Cottage to hand Scott Parker a losing start as Fulham caretaker boss.
Moments after the recalled Kepa Arrizabalaga almost presented Fulham with a goal by dropping a straightforward cross, Higuain put the visitors in front with just his third Blues goal since his January arrival on loan from Juventus.
Calum Chambers equalised, but Jorginho restored Chelsea's lead just three minutes later with his second goal for the Blues. It proved to be enough, although Ryan Sessegnon had a stoppage-time effort ruled out for offside.
Parker replaced the sacked Claudio Ranieri this week and will be under no illusions at the size of the task facing the Cottagers, who are now 10 points adrift of safety with nine games to go.
But Chelsea did not take full advantage of the chances created as Higuain, in particular, missed opportunities to improve his goal tally. Sixth-placed Chelsea have a game in hand and are now a point behind fifth-placed Arsenal and two adrift of Manchester United in fourth.
- Messi's restaurant gives out free food, drink to homeless in ArgentinaFootball 1 month ago
- Manchester City star back with mother of his children after begging for forgivenessFootball 1 month ago
- Cheruiyot sets meet record in IAAF Diamond League Athletics 1 month ago
- Benitez unveiled as Dalian Yifang head coachFootball 1 month ago
- Take it or leave it: Man United make final offer to De GeaFootball 1 month ago
- BLUE BEAUTY! Frank Lampard takes first Chelsea training session (Photos)Football 1 month ago
- Pog trouble: Shock as Pogba and Lingard almost come to blows in pre-season training (Video)Football 1 month ago