Fulham 1-2 Chelsea: Higuain and Jorginho give Blues west London derby victory
Gonzalo Higuain and Jorginho were on target as Chelsea won 2-1 at Craven Cottage to hand Scott Parker a losing start as Fulham caretaker boss.
Moments after the recalled Kepa Arrizabalaga almost presented Fulham with a goal by dropping a straightforward cross, Higuain put the visitors in front with just his third Blues goal since his January arrival on loan from Juventus.
Calum Chambers equalised, but Jorginho restored Chelsea's lead just three minutes later with his second goal for the Blues. It proved to be enough, although Ryan Sessegnon had a stoppage-time effort ruled out for offside.
Parker replaced the sacked Claudio Ranieri this week and will be under no illusions at the size of the task facing the Cottagers, who are now 10 points adrift of safety with nine games to go.
But Chelsea did not take full advantage of the chances created as Higuain, in particular, missed opportunities to improve his goal tally. Sixth-placed Chelsea have a game in hand and are now a point behind fifth-placed Arsenal and two adrift of Manchester United in fourth.
- Man Utd sack reserve team manager in ruthless summer shake-upFootball 4 days ago
- Athletics: US college track star performs incredible 'superman dive' to win raceAthletics 1 week ago
- Why Premier League stars boycotted social media on Friday Football 1 month ago
- SPL: Gor's time to party has comeFootball 1 week ago
- Diego Maradona’s daughter 'walked in on him taking drugs'Football 1 month ago
- ‘Mafisi’ Kenyan athletes shower female journalist with cashGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Champions League: Ajax 'confident, fit and eager' for Spurs match – Ten HagFootball 2 weeks ago