Nicholas Kipkirui fires Gor past Tusker
Ten-man Gor Mahia edged Tusker FC 1-0 at Kenyatta Stadium, Machakos in a SportPesa Premier League tie on Wednesday, February 27.
K’Ogalo striker Nicholas Kipkirui found the back of the net at the 56th minute after heading home a fine corner floated into the penalty area by Samwel Onyango.
The strike was enough to earn Gor Mahia all the three points in the match sending the defending KPL champions second in the table.
Hassan Oktay’s side was reduced to ten men as goalkeeper Boniface Oluoch was sent off the match in the 25th minute after handling the ball outside the box. Striker George ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo was sacrificed as he was substituted to pave way for Gor’s reserve goalkeeper Shaban Odhoji.
The ‘brewers’ failed to capitalise on the ten-man Gor Mahia as they enjoyed a good to touch of the ball in the clash but failed to hit the target in a couple of chances. Robert Matano’s men had a goal cancelled in the 80th minute after substitute Bill Oporia headed in from a corner but referee Caroline Wanjala called for a foul as K’Ogalo’s stopper appeared to be sabotaged in the build-up.
Gor’s Sam Onyango blew up a brilliant opportunity to double the lead in the dying minutes of the match but he sent his shot flying to the clouds.
“We made things difficult for ourselves with the sending off but after that I think we were the better team against a good side and we deserved the victory. We controlled the game and the victory should have been more comfortable with Sam (Onyango) missing a good chance in the end. I think we deserved to win,” Gor coach Hassan Oktay said.
Robert Matano, however, dismissed the result saying that his side was denied a goal and adding that Gor’s goal did not cross the line.
“The officiation was suspect. We were denied a goal and a penalty and Gor’s goal didn’t cross the line.” Matano said.
Tusker face Nzoia Sugar in their next match on Saturday, March 2 as Gor visit Ulinzi Stars three days later.
- Ballon d'Or organisers introduce goalkeeper awardFootball 2 days ago
- New 7s team coach Feeney promises to turn around Shujaa fortunes Rugby 1 day ago
- UON Dynamites square it out with FlamesBasketball 1 day ago
- KPA MD Manduku flags off Bandari, welcomes TwahaFootball 2 days ago
- Athletes set for Kabarak Half MarathonAthletics 1 day ago
- Rugby World Cup kicks off with outstanding opening ceremony [Photos]Rugby 1 day ago
- Players' union wants matches postponed in extreme heatFootball 2 days ago