Cristiano Ronaldo taunts Atletico Madrid in mixed zone despite Juventus defeat
Cristiano Ronaldo endured a nightmare return to Madrid on Wednesday night, as Juventus’ Champions League dream was left in tatters.
Atletico Madrid took charge of their last 16 display with a dominant second-half performance at the Wanda Metropolitano, claiming a 2-0 success thanks to late goals from Uruguayan defenders Jose Gimenez and Diego Godin.
That gave Diego Simeone’s men one foot in the quarter-finals, with Ronaldo experiencing a horrible night in the Spanish capital.
After a fierce early effort from 30 yards was brilliantly saved by Jan Oblak, the Portuguese barely had a kick, as he was whistled and booed by the baying Atleti masses.
The 34-year-old came in for some rough treatment, notably from Godin, throughout.
And salt was rubbed into the wounds as the Atleti captain’s goal - his side’s second - actually deflected into the net off of the ex-Real Madrid man.
Ronaldo, whom Juve splashed some £105mllion last summer as they seek a first European Cup since 1996, would also miss a late chance to get an away goal, heading wide from close range.
All of which combined, you would think, would see the Portuguese wanting to leave the stadium quietly post-game.
Instead, Ronaldo couldn’t resist taking a final shot at the Atletico supporters who had jeered him throughout the evening.
Having responded to fans during the game by showing five fingers - to signify his five Champions League titles - he reiterated the point in the mixed zone as he left.
Initially asked about the result, Ronaldo responded: "This is football".
But pushed further, Ronaldo responded: "I have five Champions Leagues. You [Atletico] have zero.”
Atleti have, of course, suffered defeat in two finals in the last five seasons - both times falling to Ronaldo's former club.
Asked about Atletico’s chances of finishing the job in Turin, Ronaldo responded: "We will see in the second leg”.
Regardless, in Ronaldo's running feud with the Real president, the result on the other side of Madrid makes it advantage Florentino Perez.
- Mathare United emulate Gor by exporting one of their brightest talentsFootball 2 weeks ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 1 week ago
- Joe Kadenge burial billed at Sh5 millionFootball 1 week ago
- REVEALED! Why there is no SportPesa Mega JackpotFootball 1 month ago
- CORRECTION: Magufuli clip on Taifa Stars’ performance was taken out of contextSports 2 weeks ago
- Confirmed: Harambee Stars knocked out of 2019 AfconFootball 2 weeks ago
- Chelsea star agrees new five-year deal hours after Lampard’s appointmentFootball 2 weeks ago