Underdog Omuli maintains steam at Safari tour
Golf Park’s Tony Omuli held on to the lead after shooting one-under par-71 on the second day of the fourth leg of Safari Tour Golf Series at the Thika Greens Golf Resort yesterday.
Omuli shot level par on his outward nine and closed his inward nine with minus one to maintain his lead. He finished three shows clear his closest rival Dismus Indiza who closed at level par.
On the first day, Omuli closed his round at three-under-69 to claim the overnight lead.
He carded a bogey-free front nine, back-to-back pars at the first seven holes and delivered two consecutive birdies on the par-four eighth and par-four ninth holes for a total of 34 points.
Omuli then gained more steam by the turn, where he set off with consecutive birdies on the par-four 10th and and par-four 11th before dropping shots on the par-four 12th and par-three 14th.
Speaking after the round, Omuli said he was happy with his performance after Round One adding that there was still more work to be done in the remaining rounds.
“It was a good opening round today and I am pleased with my performance. The course is long and challenging but a lot of golf will be played in the remaining rounds," he said.
Tied in second were; Railway Golf Club’s Alfred Nandwa, Mumias Sports Club’s Dismas Indiza and Nyali’s Njuguna Ngugi.
- Wilfred Bungei: Alcohol nearly ruined meAthletics 2 weeks ago
- Ronaldo returns to Portugal squad for Euro qualifiersFootball 1 month ago
- Japan Olympic minister steps downOlympics 1 week ago
- Real Madrid clinch Sh6 billion deal to sign Brazilian starFootball 1 month ago
- Ferguson's advice to Solskjaer on how to stop MessiFootball 1 week ago
- United should give Solskjaer permanent job this month, says UnitedFootball 1 month ago
- Motor racing: Hamilton wins Formula One's 1,000th raceSports 1 week ago