Rugby: Western Bulls, USIU maintain unbeaten record
Western Bulls, Catholic Monks and Kisumu RFC won their weekend matches to pile more pressure to log leaders USIU as the 2019 KRU Championship breaks for Christmas holidays.
The Kakamega-based Bulls saw off University of Eldoret 15-8 to remain second with 19 points, while Monks emerged with a 24-5 victory over visiting Egerton University. They are third with 18 points.
Kisumu RFC defeated Kitale RFC 14-10 to end the year in fifth spot on the log as race for 2020 Kenya Cup promotion intensifies.
The match that was staged on a rainy evening saw Bulls go ahead courtesy of a try by Rogeshian Odhiambo.
The inform Odhiambo stretched the lead with a second try at the corner flag before captain Willis Mwinamo added a third for Bulls, who did not convert any try.
However, the students did not go empty-handed as their second half resilience resulted to a penalty and a try with the game ending 15-8.
Western Bulls head coach Bram Shikanda attributed the win to hard work and passion in the team saying they are now going to restructure and build on their weaknesses before the Championships resume on January 12.
“I am happy we are only two points behind leaders USIU and second in the log. We are now going back to the drawing board to correct our lapses for us to return stronger next year as we pursue our goal of playing in the Kenya Cup next season,” Shikanda said.
USIU lead with two points, followed by Bulls, Monks, Kisii and Kisumu. [Washington Onyango]
- Points to catch Safari Rally action today for freeSports 1 month ago
- Nemanja Vidic lined up for shock Man United returnFootball 1 month ago
- BLUE BEAUTY! Frank Lampard takes first Chelsea training session (Photos)Football 1 month ago
- Pog trouble: Shock as Pogba and Lingard almost come to blows in pre-season training (Video)Football 1 month ago
- Cheruiyot sets meet record in IAAF Diamond League Athletics 1 month ago
- Benitez unveiled as Dalian Yifang head coachFootball 1 month ago
- Take it or leave it: Man United make final offer to De GeaFootball 1 month ago