Daring Gor stroll over Zoo
Ivorian Ephrem Guikan emerged the hero as Gor Mahia thrashed Zoo Kericho 4-0 in yesterday’s SportsPesa Premier League match at Kasarani Stadium.
Guikan, who has not been so impressive since he joined the club last season, drew the first blood in the opening minutes of the match.
His second goal was from the spot after Samuel Onyango had been brought down inside Zoo’s box.
Onyango then scored the third in the 42nd minute before Ugandan import Erisa Ssekambu added the fourth.
The highly physical game saw both teams end with a man less. Francis Kahata was sent off for Gor Mahia while Denis Kawanga was sent off for Zoo Kericho.
The two players were given marching orders by Davies Omweno after they fought.
This is the biggest win for Gor Mahia this year after a slow start into the season. The team lost 2-1 to Bandari in their opening match of the season.
Yesterday’s victory comes after the club confirmed Hassan Oktay as new head coach replacing Dylan Kerr who resigned.
Gor Mahia took off quickly against the visitors with Guikan scoring when he just touched the ball for the first time.
Guikan was well placed to score a well taken free kick by Shafique Batambuze.
The goal seemed to disorient the visitors who defended poorly and Sabiri Sandani fouled Samuel Onyango inside his box to give Gor Mahia a penalty which Guikan scored.
Guikan was also at hand to provide an assist for the third goal. His curling shot found Onyango waiting and he converted it.
The loss is Zoo’s second in three days after going down to to Nzoia Sugar 1-0.
Gor Mahia will play Lobi Stars on Sunday in a CAF Champions League match.
Elsewhere, Ghanaian giants Asante Kotoko arrived in the country yesterday ahead of their CAF Confederations Cup match against Karionangi Sharks.
The two teams will play on Saturday with the return match a few days later.
The winner of the match will make it to the group stages of the tournament where Sh27million is at stake.
- Origi linked with move to new clubFootball 1 week ago
- Manchester United star ruled out for weeks after horrific injuryFootball 15 hours ago
- Stars who flickered, left and made an about-turnFootball 6 hours ago
- Mesut Ozil doesn't care about football any more, claims Arsenal legendFootball 2 days ago
- SportPesa Premier League: Homeboyz in fight for lifeFootball 6 hours ago
- REVEALED! What happened to Sh50m promised by Ruto after Harambee Stars’ AFCON qualification Football 1 month ago
- Suarez’s girlfriend drops hint star is signing for ArsenalGossip & Rumours 17 hours ago