Serena Williams 'Man of the Year' GQ cover sparks controversy for an odd reason
Serena Williams has been named GQ's Woman of the Year - but the magazine cover has caused controversy.
The tennis legend features on one of four covers of December's issue of the magazine.
Women were made part of GQ's Men of the Year award in 2003 and Williams, 37, is seen sporting a black turtleneck leotard on the cover.
Williams is hailed as 'The Champion' while the Men on Men Of The Year is scribbled out and replaced by "Woman".
The December cover has sparked controversy though with many taking to social media to question the use of quotation marks.
But there is a perfectly good explanation.
The typography was handwritten by designer Virgil Abloh who has worked alongside Williams before.
He helped design her US Open outfit which featured "Serena" on her trainers and "Logo" on her tutu, both in quotations.
GQ research manager Mick Rouse explained the design decision on social media.
Williams revealed earlier this year that she nearly died giving birth to daughter Alexis Olympia, who was born in August 2017.
But months later she returned to the sport as she reached the Wimbledon and US Open finals.
Her controversial loss at Flushing Meadows to Naomi Osaka saw her brand umpire Carlos Ramos a "thief" and accuse him of sexism.
Because it was handwritten by Virgil Abloh of Off-White, who has styled everything in quotation marks as of late (see Serena's US Open apparel that he designed) — Mick Rouse (@mickrouse) November 12, 2018
It quite literally has tags/quotations around it because that’s Virgil’s own style/branding, including in his partnership with Nike and Serena herself. That’s the only “message” behind it. pic.twitter.com/uaGV1DYDhC — Mick Rouse (@mickrouse) November 12, 2018
- Pogba’s latest statement leaves Man United fans excited worldwidePremier League 1 month ago
- Unbeaten Selecta are Division One champsFootball 3 weeks ago
- Sir Alex Ferguson 'banned' from Old Trafford for Manchester United matchFootball 2 days ago
- Financial Abuse: UEFA warns clubs after Man City’s dirty linen leaksFootball 1 month ago
- Tracing the greatness of champion Geoffrey KamwororAthletics 1 month ago
- 220 MILLION EUROS! Barcelona to meet shock Neymar release clauseFootball 1 month ago
- Gor Mahia eager to dim Lobi Stars at KasaraniFootball 4 hours ago