Jose Mourinho would be 'mad' to play Romelu Lukaku in derby, claims Paul Ince
Jose Mourinho would be mad to play Romelu Lukaku in the Manchester derby, according to Paul Ince.
Lukaku was dropped for the win over Everton last month and has missed United’s last two games with a muscle injury, and Ince told Paddy Power he should not be recalled to the side even if he’s fit again.
“The results are plain to see. Alexis Sanchez was much improved against Juventus on Wednesday and it’s no coincidence that there was no Lukaku present.
“And in general, when he hasn’t played, United look like a much better team.”
Lukaku missed United’s 2-1 win at Bournemouth last weekend, as well as the dramatic Champions League victory at Juventus on Wednesday.
Sanchez has featured in a central role in the Belgian’s absence, and Ince believes the team benefit from starting the former Arsenal man in attack.
“Without him [Lukaku], rather than booting in a long ball and hoping for the best, the United players are forced to play down the sides and get men in behind,” he said.
No Lukaku has forced United to play a different way. And I’d go as far as to say it’s exciting to watch, they’re playing proper football again! They’re playing what I would call the United way.”
Jose Mourinho’s side will look to make it four wins in a row in all competitions for the first time this season when they travel to Manchester City on Sunday, and they’ll be confident of an upset at the Etihad after last season’s derby display.
The Red Devils came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 in back in April, prolonging City’s wait to be crowned Premier League champions in the process.
Ince is confident United can get a result in the derby, providing they leave Lukaku out of the side and stick with the set-up that has seen them hit form in the last two weeks.
“You can’t deny his goalscoring record, but there are certain balls which the midfield have been attempting now he’s not in the team, and there’s no way they’d have done that with him there,” Ince said.
“Sanchez, Lingard, Martial and even Rashford are all looking for those types of balls. It’s those kinds of players which will cause Manchester City trouble on Sunday, not Lukaku.”
- Athletics. Kipchoge, Vivian exempted from 2019 Doha World ChampionshipsAthletics 2 weeks ago
- Ex-Arsenal star: I almost committed suicideFootball 4 weeks ago
- Photos: Meet dentist behind Liverpool stars’ smilesFootball 1 month ago
- Bandari rampage their way into SportPesa Shield finalsFootball 1 week ago
- Three broke KPL players ‘nailing’ loaded woman in shiftsGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- I’m not twerking or going to the World Cup - Ballon d’Or winner HegerbergFootball 3 weeks ago
- Arsenal fans send disturbing message to Hazard and Kante in bid to force them out of Europa League finalFootball 2 days ago