Athletics: Lorita and Cherono triumph at annual Mombasa marathon
Dismas Lotira and Peris Cherono electrified Mombasa City as they braved sweltering heat to win men and women titles during the Mombasa international 42km marathon.
Lotira zoomed off from a group of 20 front runners with two kilometres left and never looked back.
Lotira, who finished third during the 2010 Antwerp 42km marathon in German, clocked 2:16.52 for victory. He also pocketed Sh500,000 as top prize money.
Born on April 16, 1976 and a father of five, Lotira said the heat posed a challenge, which saw numerous athletes throw in the towel.
“The heat was unbearable but I thank God I made it to the finish line. I will give tithe to my church from my earnings. I believe it was by the grace of God that I won and I must give glory to Him,” said the soft-spoken athlete from Kapsabet.
Arit Kigen clocked 2:17.45 to finish second, while Abraham Too (2:18.31 for the second and third slots respectively.
In women's 42km, Peris Cherono from Iten won her first major race after registering 2:30.44 for her victory.
“Mombasa's heat was too much for most of us from upcountry, who are used to chilly weather,” said the 28-year-old.
She added that she won’t participate in any other race this year as she prepares for next year’s Beijing marathon.
Alice Mogire of Prisons Kenya and Elizabeth Rumokol timed 2:32.43 and 2:32.53 respectively.
In men's 10km, defending champion Stephen Mwendwa from Makueni’s Ndumbi Athletics Club retained his title with a time of 33 minutes 17.39.
“I am in top form having participated in two major races in Milan and Spain this year and I was ready to defend my title,” said Mwendwa.
Daniel Kayiok clocked 33.34.00 to finish second, while Kipkorir Birir's time of 33.40.16 saw him finish third. [Ernest Ndunda]
- Problems pile for Man United, Jose Mourinho could miss Chelsea showdownFootball 21 hours ago
- Njoroge served with warm Tea Fields titleGolf 2 days ago
- E. Guinea thrown out, H. Starlets qualifyFootball 9 hours ago
- Mourinho sends powerful message to Herrera and Mata about their future at Old Trafford Football 1 day ago
- Why Harambee Stars have not received Sh50 million despite 3-0 win over Ethiopia Football 3 days ago
- UFC: Russian Khabib defeats McGregorFootball 1 week ago
- Champagne on ice: Why AFCON qualification is Harambee Stars’ to loseFootball 2 days ago