Athletics: Lorita and Cherono triumph at annual Mombasa marathon
Dismas Lotira and Peris Cherono electrified Mombasa City as they braved sweltering heat to win men and women titles during the Mombasa international 42km marathon.
Lotira zoomed off from a group of 20 front runners with two kilometres left and never looked back.
Lotira, who finished third during the 2010 Antwerp 42km marathon in German, clocked 2:16.52 for victory. He also pocketed Sh500,000 as top prize money.
Born on April 16, 1976 and a father of five, Lotira said the heat posed a challenge, which saw numerous athletes throw in the towel.
“The heat was unbearable but I thank God I made it to the finish line. I will give tithe to my church from my earnings. I believe it was by the grace of God that I won and I must give glory to Him,” said the soft-spoken athlete from Kapsabet.
Arit Kigen clocked 2:17.45 to finish second, while Abraham Too (2:18.31 for the second and third slots respectively.
In women's 42km, Peris Cherono from Iten won her first major race after registering 2:30.44 for her victory.
“Mombasa's heat was too much for most of us from upcountry, who are used to chilly weather,” said the 28-year-old.
She added that she won’t participate in any other race this year as she prepares for next year’s Beijing marathon.
Alice Mogire of Prisons Kenya and Elizabeth Rumokol timed 2:32.43 and 2:32.53 respectively.
In men's 10km, defending champion Stephen Mwendwa from Makueni’s Ndumbi Athletics Club retained his title with a time of 33 minutes 17.39.
“I am in top form having participated in two major races in Milan and Spain this year and I was ready to defend my title,” said Mwendwa.
Daniel Kayiok clocked 33.34.00 to finish second, while Kipkorir Birir's time of 33.40.16 saw him finish third. [Ernest Ndunda]
- How Premier League title race, top-four race will be decidedFootball 3 weeks ago
- Three broke Kenyan footballers find solace in rich woman’s bedroomGossip & Rumours 1 week ago
- Sofapaka seek lost glory with SportPesa ShieldFootball 1 month ago
- Kenya Rugby 7s: Blow as star misses Las Vegas tripRugby 1 month ago
- Man United fan stabbed by taxi driver in ParisFootball 1 month ago
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to axe eight Man United starsFootball 2 weeks ago
- Blind runner and his dogs make history at NYC Half MarathonAthletics 1 month ago