Athletics: Huge field for Family Bank Eldoret 21km race
More than 1000 athletes are expected at the 12th Family Bank half marathon on October 7.
The 21km race, which is dubbed ‘Champions Run for Autism, will be staged on a re-designed route for men’s and women’s contests. It will start in Tendwon High School on the eastern part of Eldoret through Elgeyo Boarder Trading Centre and head straight to Zion Mall in Eldoret town. The five-kilometre corporate race will start at Kao La Amani AIC Church and stretch straight to Zion Mall.
Winners will take home Sh250,000 while first runner ups and second runner ups receive Sh150,000 and Sh90,000 respectively. Last year’s winner Jorum Lumbasi upstaged Isaac Koech in the final 100-metre stretch to defend 21km title while Pauline Korikwang, who on the comeback trail, staged a brilliant front run to wear women’s crown. The competition is expected to be stiffer this year given the high number of elite athletes expected at the meet.
“As Family Bank, we are proud to provide a platform where talent has been discovered, nurtured and go on to conquer the world. Walking with our sister companies into another decade of marathon greatness, we look forward to doing more to impact the sports industry as well as touch communities around us,” said Family Bank’s Chief Operations Officer Godfrey Kamau during the launch event yesterday.
“Through the individual and corporate participation, we hope to raise funds and build more specialized classrooms to promote inclusive education,” he added.
The proceeds from the race will go towards supporting projects that give an opportunity to autistic children access quality education. According to statistics by the Ministry of Education, 16 per cent of children with disabilities drop out of school due to social discrimination. Additionally, there are only just 97schools nationally with dedicated units for autistic children.
“We saw the need to focus on inclusive education in Uasin Gishu County. Our first project at Sosiani Primary School benefited from a specialized classroom. [Jonah Onyango]
- Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech reveals why Wenger was not concerned about winning Football 16 hours ago
- Sports ministry under fire: Officials cry foul over poor working relations with parent ministrySports 10 hours ago
- Shakava: Gor should start early Caf preparations Football 10 hours ago
- Hockey: Debutants Lakers inch closer to women’s top tierHockey 1 day ago
- ‘You will NEVER be captain again’ – Mourinho tells Pogba in training ground bust-upPremier League 1 hour ago
- Ochieng shows how it’s done: Custodian trainer mentors budding talent in KayoleFootball 10 hours ago
- Golf: Why you should know your ballsGolf 1 day ago