Rugby: National 7’s circuit enters homestretch in Nairobi today
The final leg of this year’s National Sevens series concludes with the Christie Sevens at the RFUEA Grounds, Nairobi, today with three teams in contention for the overall title.
Having garnered 100 points after five rounds, series leaders Homeboyz are in pole position to reclaim the title they won in 2016 as a third-place finish guarantees them the crown.
In the run up to the season finale, Homeboyz coach Paul Murunga has laid bare his intentions of going for the top prize.
“We are not focusing on Mwamba but our main aim is to win the Christie 7s title,” Murunga said.
Failure to go past the quarter finals and a Main Cup win for second-placed Mwamba (92), will hand Kulabu the title for the first time since 2011.
KCB, third on the standings with 81 points, are also in the race and could clinch their first title in four years only if they win this weekend’s leg. and that’s only if Homeboyz and Mwamba fail to bag a minimum of four and 12 points respectively.
In the absence of youthful winger Mark Wandeto, who is nursing an injury, Homeboyz have recalled Kenyan international Jeff Oluoch for this weekend’s assignment as they seek to revive their form which saw them win the first three legs in Nakuru,Eldoret and Machakos.
Mwamba have also made changes, introducing the pair of Michael Agevi and Brian Kivasia in their 13-man squad.
Meanwhile, Uganda Sevens series champions Pirates who had landed an invitation from Christie Sevens hosts Kenya Harlequins have withdrawn from the tournament.
- Wenger sends powerful message to ArsenalFootball 1 day ago
- England beat Croatia to qualify for Nations League finalsFootball 3 hours ago
- Kemboi, Jerop win Kass MarathonAthletics 6 hours ago
- 2020 Olympics: Mutamba inspires Kenya U23 into the second round of AFCON qualifiersFootball 4 hours ago
- Will Gor Mahia be the biggest losers from Kerr walking away?Football 23 hours ago
- Pogba’s latest statement leaves Man United fans excited worldwidePremier League 4 days ago
- Why Ronaldo went home a sad man after loss to Man United – JuventusFootball 6 days ago