Real Madrid and Brazil star agrees to four-month prison sentence, admits tax fraud
Real Madrid defender Marcelo has agreed a four-month suspended prison sentence and will pay £670,000 after reaching an agreement for tax fraud.
The Brazilian international joined the likes of Jose Mourinho and Alexis Sanchez in being accused of defrauding Spanish tax authorities last year.
According to Madrid's public prosecutor, the alleged irregularities were linked to the use of foreign firms to handle the earnings of his image rights.
In the complaint, the public prosecutor said the defender, who joined Real Madrid in 2007, had used the tax structure seeking an "illegal fiscal benefit". The case dates back to 2013.
Now, El Mundo reports that the 30-year-old has come to an agreement with authorities.
Marcelo has reportedly negotiated a shorter than expected sentence, with his fine amounting to only 40 per cent of the amount he was accused of defrauding.
It's claimed Marcelo admitted his guilt, stating he admitted loaning his image rights to a Uruguayan firm called 'Birsen Trade S.A.', a shell company which lacks the human and material resources to perform its functions."
Despite accepting a four-month sentence, Marcelo will not see the inside of a prison with sentences of less than two years suspended in Spain for a first offence.
The agreement is scheduled to be presented at the Court of Instruction of Alcobendas in the Spanish capital today.
- PSG facing Champions League exclusionFootball 4 hours ago
- Man City star Mendy savagely replies to Donald Trump’s tweetGossip & Rumours 7 hours ago
- Wenger puts PSG under pressure and he makes final January 1st demandFootball 8 hours ago
- Mourinho gives up on three signings as Man United move to block January transfersPremier League 5 hours ago
- Arsene Wenger rejected Fulham before they turned to RanieriPremier League 9 hours ago
- Manchester United chief pictured in Saudi Arabia amid takeover speculationFootball 1 hour ago
- Chelsea among FIVE Premier League clubs facing banPremier League 11 hours ago