Real Madrid and Brazil star agrees to four-month prison sentence, admits tax fraud
Real Madrid defender Marcelo has agreed a four-month suspended prison sentence and will pay £670,000 after reaching an agreement for tax fraud.
The Brazilian international joined the likes of Jose Mourinho and Alexis Sanchez in being accused of defrauding Spanish tax authorities last year.
According to Madrid's public prosecutor, the alleged irregularities were linked to the use of foreign firms to handle the earnings of his image rights.
In the complaint, the public prosecutor said the defender, who joined Real Madrid in 2007, had used the tax structure seeking an "illegal fiscal benefit". The case dates back to 2013.
Now, El Mundo reports that the 30-year-old has come to an agreement with authorities.
Marcelo has reportedly negotiated a shorter than expected sentence, with his fine amounting to only 40 per cent of the amount he was accused of defrauding.
It's claimed Marcelo admitted his guilt, stating he admitted loaning his image rights to a Uruguayan firm called 'Birsen Trade S.A.', a shell company which lacks the human and material resources to perform its functions."
Despite accepting a four-month sentence, Marcelo will not see the inside of a prison with sentences of less than two years suspended in Spain for a first offence.
The agreement is scheduled to be presented at the Court of Instruction of Alcobendas in the Spanish capital today.
- Suarez injury gives Man Utd huge boostFootball 1 week ago
- Football: 10 Premier League talking points – City back on topPremier League 3 weeks ago
- Here’s who will not play against Chelsea after PSG loss – SolskjaerFootball 1 month ago
- Former KFF boss among those who died in Ethiopian plane crashFootball 2 weeks ago
- Photos released: Body visible in wreckage of plane carrying Emiliano SalaFootball 1 month ago
- Hello Africa: Kenya’s son Obama bringing basketball home [Photos]Basketball 1 month ago
- Ruined his legacy: Furious Celtic fans blast Rodgers for his move to the Premier League.Football 3 weeks ago