President George Weah features for Liberia in international friendly match [Photos]
At the age of 51, Liberia President George Weah put his soccer boots back on to feature for his country in an international friendly match.
Weah played for 80 minutes before going off as Liberia lost 2-1 to Nigeria in Monrovia on Tuesday, September 11.
The friendly match was organized in order to retire Weah’s iconic jersey number – 14. Fans were shocked to see the former World player of the year lead his team onto the pitch, 16 years after his last appearance.
As he was being subbed off in the 80th minute, a round of applause rang across the whole arena.
Weah is the first African Footballer to ever win the prestigious Ballon d’Or (FIFA World Player of the Year) award.
Henry Onyekuru and Simeon Nwanko were on target for the Super Eagles before Liberia pulled a goal back courtesy of Kpah Sherman.
During his stunning career, Weah managed to play for Chelsea, Manchester City, Monaco, Paris St Germain and Marseille.
His popularity and achievements as an African footballer helped him secure Liberia presidency in December 2017.
- Kenyan athlete hit by car during Medellin half marathonAthletics 2 days ago
- [PHOTOS] Man brandishes gun at players after Bandari FC vs Zoo Kericho matchFootball 2 days ago
- Two football fields on top of a church building in NairobiFootball 2 days ago
- New sport! Bald head tug of war competitionRugby 2 days ago
- City lawyer Donald Kipkorir publishes opinion on why some athletes go from riches to rags on retirementAthletics 2 days ago
- Athletics: Second Kabarak Half Marathon nets Sh5mAthletics 2 days ago
- Berlin Marathon: The amount of money Kipchoge stands to pocket after world record smashAthletics 2 days ago