Jerome Boateng reveals why he rejected Manchester United this summer
After the end of the World Cup in Russia, nothing kept the football world buzzing like club transfers. Big clubs making big money moves for big players was the highlight of each day.
One of these big clubs was Manchester United. While Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City kept on spending to land the biggest signatures in football, things didn’t quite look to be going the Red Devils’ way.
Jose Mourinho was bent on signing two centre backs, a part of his squad he felt he needed to improve if his side were to challenge for the title.
Tottenham’s Toby Alderweireld and Leicester City’s Harry Maguire are said to have been Mourinho’s top picks, but their deals failed to materialize following ‘financial disagreements’ between club officials.
Another defender who was strongly linked with a move to Old Trafford was Germany and Bayern Munich defender Jerome Boateng.
The 30-year-old is said to have held talks with French giants Paris St. Germain about a potential move but chose to remain with the Bavarians in the end.
According to English news outlet Metro, Boateng revealed that he also spoke to Jose Mourinho on phone and explained why he couldn’t leave the German champions.
“I called Jose Mourinho, I told him that his interest was an honor for me and thanked him for trying so hard for me. ‘I explained to him that it’s difficult to leave, and if I do, everything has to be in place to top this club,’ explained Boateng.
He told the Bild that he had ‘enquiries’ from Man United and PSG but opted to remain in Germany because everything was ‘in place’.
He admitted that he was thrilled at the prospect of trying out a new challenge but since Bayern was one of the biggest clubs in the world, it was difficult for him to walk away.
- Malkia Strikers WhatsApp group admin locks out ‘vichwa ngumu’Volleyball and Handball 14 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo will face Manchester United, even after red cardFootball 15 hours ago
- Why status quo must remain in the Premier League this weekendFootball 5 hours ago
- Tottenham coach confirms he could be fired within a weekPremier League 10 hours ago
- Migne names Stars squad for Ethiopia Afcon qualifierFootball 4 hours ago
- Ronaldo’s red card was down to an absurb hallucination – World Cup-winning coachFootball 8 hours ago
- Senior KPL coach and star player in silent war over hot slayqueenFootball 13 hours ago