KRU plans series of matches for Simbas team
The Kenya Rugby Union is working on plans to see the Simbas engage in a series of build up fixtures in the run up to the Rugby World Cup repechage tournament set for November in Marseille, France.
Speaking yesterday, KRU Director of Rugby Thomas Odundo said; ” We’re looking at fixtures against South African opposition from either Western Province or Blue Bulls. We’ve also asked World Rugby if they can bring Namibia for a match or two. We also hope to head to France early for the repechage and play a match against either Spain or Portugal.”
The repechage tournament in Marseille is the Simbas last stab at RWC 2019 qualification after they finished second to Namibia in the Gold Cup which served as the African qualifying round for next year’s competition.
Kenya has called up four players from its Sevens team to reinforce the national squad as it prepares for a last-ditch bid to grab one of the last places at next year’s World Cup.
The four players including former Sevens skipper Andrew Amonde will link up with teammate Willy Ambaka who joined the squad and managed to score four tries against Tunisia and Namibia in the qualifiers.
The others are fly-half Sammy Oliech, winger Nelson Oyoo and utility back Dennis Ombachi, whose winning try against Zimbabwe helped Kenya qualify for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- Golf: Why you should know your ballsGolf 3 hours ago
- Son and mum put best stick forwardHockey 1 day ago
- Alexis Sanchez blasted for poor performanceFootball 6 hours ago
- What’s left of Conseslus Kipruto’s car after Tuesday night crash? [Photos]Athletics 4 days ago
- Aged 51, George Weah comes out of retirement [Photos]Football 1 week ago
- Swimming: Kioko stars in Coast Novice galaSports 20 hours ago
- Kenya beat Malawi in a friendly matchFootball 1 week ago