KRU plans series of matches for Simbas team
The Kenya Rugby Union is working on plans to see the Simbas engage in a series of build up fixtures in the run up to the Rugby World Cup repechage tournament set for November in Marseille, France.
Speaking yesterday, KRU Director of Rugby Thomas Odundo said; ” We’re looking at fixtures against South African opposition from either Western Province or Blue Bulls. We’ve also asked World Rugby if they can bring Namibia for a match or two. We also hope to head to France early for the repechage and play a match against either Spain or Portugal.”
The repechage tournament in Marseille is the Simbas last stab at RWC 2019 qualification after they finished second to Namibia in the Gold Cup which served as the African qualifying round for next year’s competition.
Kenya has called up four players from its Sevens team to reinforce the national squad as it prepares for a last-ditch bid to grab one of the last places at next year’s World Cup.
The four players including former Sevens skipper Andrew Amonde will link up with teammate Willy Ambaka who joined the squad and managed to score four tries against Tunisia and Namibia in the qualifiers.
The others are fly-half Sammy Oliech, winger Nelson Oyoo and utility back Dennis Ombachi, whose winning try against Zimbabwe helped Kenya qualify for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- Weekend clubs round up: Rookie Ondeng’a leaves veterans stunned Golf 1 day ago
- Golf: Ndung’u wins inaugural LSK tournament in Nakuru Golf 1 day ago
- Golf: Nderitu wins 2018 Vet Lab Captain prizeGolf 1 day ago
- Arsenal star set for shock exitFootball 2 hours ago
- Real Madrid plotting shock move for Manchester United starFootball 2 hours ago
- Chepkoech one step away from best athlete awardAthletics 21 hours ago
- Trouble again! Bad news about Sanchez at Manchester UnitedFootball 2 days ago