REVEALED: What Zidane told Sergio Ramos to do to Salah in Champions League final
Former Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane has finally opened up about that emotional Champions League final in Kiev last season that saw him guide Los Blancos to a third consecutive trophy in the history of the competition.
Zidane’s side beat Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool 3-1 courtesy of a Karius howler- gifting Benzema a goal and a superb Gareth Bale brace.
Perhaps one could conclude that a crucial turning point in the match was Sergio Ramos’ challenge on Salah. The Spaniard appeared to trap Salah’s arm in his armpit as they both went down, leaving the Egyptian writhing in pain. Consequently, Salah was subbed off due to a shoulder injury.
After the match, Ramos’ was subject to criticism, with Liverpool fans worldwide accusing him of plotting to injure Salah in order to easily win the match.
Speaking to UEFA as seen on English news outlet Mirror by Game Yetu, ‘Zizu’ insisted that his defenders had no ideal plan to cope with Liverpool’s front three and only focused on how they would approach the game.
This was Zidane response when asked if he’d given Ramos the duty of aggressively dealing with Salah:
"Not at all! Our game was always the same, regardless of who we were facing.”
Zidane goes on to explain how he prepared his players:
"We told players about the individual characteristics of opposing players, so that they were aware of specific things that those players did.”
He concluded by underscoring the fact that he had no intention of injuring Salah, but was only focused on his team’s game:
“I didn’t want to do too much of that, as I wanted my players to focus primarily on our own game.”
After the final, Zidane dramatically stepped down as Real Madrid coach.
He is now favourite to replace Jose Mourinho at Manchester United should the ‘special one’ get his marching orders.
- Shakava: Gor should start early Caf preparations Football 6 hours ago
- Hockey: Debutants Lakers inch closer to women’s top tierHockey 1 day ago
- Lukaku sends powerful message to fans about Mourinho’s emotionsFootball 1 week ago
- Hockey: Titans beat Multimedia University in Super LeagueHockey 1 week ago
- AFC to Gor: Don’t open champagne cork yetFootball 1 month ago
- Netball: Kenya lose to hosts Zambia in continental openerVolleyball and Handball 1 month ago
- Sh 32 million sports academy lying underutilized in Taita-Taveta CountySports 1 month ago