AFCON Qualifier: Victor Wanyama left out of Harambee Stars squad to face Ghana
Tottenham Hotspurs midfielder Victor Wanyama will not feature for Kenya as they take on Ghana in an African Cup of Nations qualifier at the Kasarani Stadium, Nairobi on Saturday.
Coach Sebastien Migne has not named the 27-year-old in his final 24-man squad.
Wanyama was fresh from a thigh injury he got during pre-season and was racing against time to be fit for this duel.
Former Harambee Stars coach Jacob Mulee asked the team not to rely so much on the decorated midfielder, saying it wouldn't make sense for Tottenham to release him if he had just come out of injury.
“We are just putting ourselves under a lot of pressure by thinking about Wanyama’s availability. The truth of the matter is that he may not be available considering that he is just resuming after an injury layoff. It would not make sense for his club to release him,” said Mulee.
He urged for a replacement insisting Wanyama wouldn’t be in the ‘best shape’ even if he arrived.
“The best thing to do is get a replacement because even if he comes, he will not be in his best shape. This is a big game for Stars and Wanyama has not been playing competitively. He may not be of much help,” Mulee insisted.
Migne has done just that, picking Francis Kahata, Abdallah Hassan, Anthony Akumu, Eric Johanna, Ismail Gonzalez and Johanna Omollo over the Spurs man.
Tickets will be retailed at Sh1000 and Sh200 for VIP and terraces sections respectively.
According to information from Kenya Football Federation, Zambian Janny Sikazwe will be the centre referee and will be assisted by Kabwe Chansa and Oliver Gift Mweene. Wisdom Chewe will be the fourth official while Jean-Albert Rollin will act as Match Commissioner.
Patrick Matasi, Farouk Shikalo, Ian Otieno.
Philemon Otieno, Jockins Atudo, Dennis Odhiambo, Joash Onyango, Benard Ochieng, Abud Omar, David Ochieng, Eric Ouma, Joseph Okumu, Musa Mohammed, David Owino.
Francis Kahata, Abdallah Hassan, Anthony Akumu, Eric Johanna, Ismail Gonzalez, Johanna Omollo.
Piston Mutamba, Jesse Were, Michael Olunga, Ovella Ochieng.
NB: Squad information: Football Kenya Federation
- Juventus 'hold Paul Pogba talks' Football 21 hours ago
- Manchester United accidentally ‘announce’ transfer of goalkeeper [Photos]Football 2 hours ago
- Kenya Simbas ready to roar againRugby 14 hours ago
- Kimanzi: Emerging Stars coach says his side can make Olympic historyFootball 14 hours ago
- Sorry fans - European Super League is ‘fiction’, insists UEFA chiefFootball 4 hours ago
- Did you know Lionel Messi’s first Barca contract was written on a napkin? [Photos]Football 2 hours ago
- Rugby: Okwemba positive ahead of second Championship match against MMUSTRugby 14 hours ago