Kopondo gets the nod as KRU names squad
Kenya Harlequins lock Wilson Kopondo, who missed the Gold Cup campaign, has been included in the national rugby provisional team ahead of the World Cup in Marseille, France in November.
Kopondo makes a comeback in the 33-man squad named yesterday by Kenya Rugby Union. The squad, which started training yesterday ahead of the tournament, also has new faces in Thomas Okidia, Ephraim Oduor and Elvis Namusasi.
The side will, however, miss the services of Curtis Lilako, Oscar Simiyu, Isaac Adimo, Edmund Anya and Erick Kerre, who were dropped.
The Marseille Championships is the final stab for The Simbas in their quest to qualify for next year’s Rugby World Cup after a failed bid in the Africa Gold Cup Championships, which was won by Namibia.
Kenya will compete against Canada, Germany and Hong Kong in the round-robin series whose winner will secure a ticket to next year’s Rugby World Cup in Japan.
- ‘Equal Pay!’ – American fans demand progress in women’s footballFootball 1 month ago
- AFCON: Maybe this year will be the one – Senegal coachFootball 1 month ago
- Neymar Champions League match ban confirmedFootball 2 months ago
- Uhuru to preside over Safari RallySports 1 month ago
- Kenya taught vital football lesson by SenegalFootball 1 month ago
- Lukaku’s cousin set to help Arsenal land dream target Football 1 month ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 1 month ago