Kopondo gets the nod as KRU names squad
Kenya Harlequins lock Wilson Kopondo, who missed the Gold Cup campaign, has been included in the national rugby provisional team ahead of the World Cup in Marseille, France in November.
Kopondo makes a comeback in the 33-man squad named yesterday by Kenya Rugby Union. The squad, which started training yesterday ahead of the tournament, also has new faces in Thomas Okidia, Ephraim Oduor and Elvis Namusasi.
The side will, however, miss the services of Curtis Lilako, Oscar Simiyu, Isaac Adimo, Edmund Anya and Erick Kerre, who were dropped.
The Marseille Championships is the final stab for The Simbas in their quest to qualify for next year’s Rugby World Cup after a failed bid in the Africa Gold Cup Championships, which was won by Namibia.
Kenya will compete against Canada, Germany and Hong Kong in the round-robin series whose winner will secure a ticket to next year’s Rugby World Cup in Japan.
- Athletics: Huge field for Mombasa International Marathon Athletics 9 hours ago
- Juventus' Douglas Costa in trouble over spitting incidentFootball 5 days ago
- Migne names Stars squad for Ethiopia Afcon qualifierFootball 14 hours ago
- Nick Mwendwa digs into his pocket after KRA freezes FKF accountFootball 1 week ago
- Anthony Martial leaves Manchester United pre-season tour early Football 1 month ago
- PSG coach Tuchel and goalkeeper Buffon on collision courseFootball 1 week ago
- Gary Neville warns Paul Pogba, fuels transfer speculationPremier League 1 week ago