Kopondo gets the nod as KRU names squad
Kenya Harlequins lock Wilson Kopondo, who missed the Gold Cup campaign, has been included in the national rugby provisional team ahead of the World Cup in Marseille, France in November.
Kopondo makes a comeback in the 33-man squad named yesterday by Kenya Rugby Union. The squad, which started training yesterday ahead of the tournament, also has new faces in Thomas Okidia, Ephraim Oduor and Elvis Namusasi.
The side will, however, miss the services of Curtis Lilako, Oscar Simiyu, Isaac Adimo, Edmund Anya and Erick Kerre, who were dropped.
The Marseille Championships is the final stab for The Simbas in their quest to qualify for next year’s Rugby World Cup after a failed bid in the Africa Gold Cup Championships, which was won by Namibia.
Kenya will compete against Canada, Germany and Hong Kong in the round-robin series whose winner will secure a ticket to next year’s Rugby World Cup in Japan.
- Gor Mahia qualify for CAF Confederation Cup group stage after beating Cameroon’s New Star 2-1 on aggregateFootball 8 hours ago
- Cricket: Swamibapa continue with winning ways in NPCA T20 leagueCricket 3 hours ago
- Jose Mourinho sends harsh message to Manchester United players Football 10 hours ago
- Dispatch from Dar: Tanzania Police preach road safetyFootball 3 hours ago
- Hog charge: Big field for Hog Charge in Ruiru todaySports 1 day ago
- Athletics: Kenya’s Lagat upsets the odds at Mumbai MarathonAthletics 3 hours ago
- Former Manchester United coach Jose Mourinho finally speaks after being sackedFootball 1 month ago