Luka Modric named Player of the Year
Real Madrid and Croatia star Luka Modric on Thursday received the accolade of Uefa Player of the Year in Monaco, beating his former teammate Cristiano Ronaldo and Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah to the prize.
“I’m very happy to receive this great prize. I have worked hard for this, to get to the highest point possible,” said Modric, who starred in the Real side that won the Champions League for the third year running before also leading Croatia to the World Cup final.
“I can say for sure that this has been the best year of my career, collectively and individually, and I am enjoying the moment,” added the 32-year-old, who was announced as the winner of the prize after Thursday’s draw in Monaco for this season’s Champions League group stage,
Modric started out at Dinamo Zagreb and then had four years with Tottenham Hotspur before Real prised him away.
- Southampton fans mock Emiliano Sala death with aeroplane gesturesFootball 1 week ago
- Is Barca planning to sell Coutinho to bring back Neymar? Football 1 month ago
- Confident Man Utd can inflict more Champions League pain on PSGFootball 1 week ago
- Kabras face Impala test in crunch Kenya Cup tieRugby 2 months ago
- Chelsea star leaves Stamford Bridge on loanFootball 3 weeks ago
- Man Utd's Martial, Lingard to miss Chelsea, Liverpool matchesFootball 4 days ago
- Weekend clubs round up results: Mugure braves strong winds to bag victoryGolf 1 week ago