Luka Modric named Player of the Year
Real Madrid and Croatia star Luka Modric on Thursday received the accolade of Uefa Player of the Year in Monaco, beating his former teammate Cristiano Ronaldo and Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah to the prize.
“I’m very happy to receive this great prize. I have worked hard for this, to get to the highest point possible,” said Modric, who starred in the Real side that won the Champions League for the third year running before also leading Croatia to the World Cup final.
“I can say for sure that this has been the best year of my career, collectively and individually, and I am enjoying the moment,” added the 32-year-old, who was announced as the winner of the prize after Thursday’s draw in Monaco for this season’s Champions League group stage,
Modric started out at Dinamo Zagreb and then had four years with Tottenham Hotspur before Real prised him away.
- Wenger sends powerful message to ArsenalFootball 2 hours ago
- Gor Mahia: Are coaches using Gor to make a name?Football 21 hours ago
- Dutch delight in win over France, Germany relegatedFootball 3 hours ago
- Gor Mahia coach Dylan Kerr resignsFootball 1 day ago
- Rally: KNRC battle moves to Machakos CountySports 21 hours ago
- Disputed Neymar penalty gives Brazil win over UruguayFootball 3 hours ago
- Harambee Stars’ AFCON race is not done until fat lady singsFootball 2 weeks ago