Luka Modric named Player of the Year
Real Madrid and Croatia star Luka Modric on Thursday received the accolade of Uefa Player of the Year in Monaco, beating his former teammate Cristiano Ronaldo and Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah to the prize.
“I’m very happy to receive this great prize. I have worked hard for this, to get to the highest point possible,” said Modric, who starred in the Real side that won the Champions League for the third year running before also leading Croatia to the World Cup final.
“I can say for sure that this has been the best year of my career, collectively and individually, and I am enjoying the moment,” added the 32-year-old, who was announced as the winner of the prize after Thursday’s draw in Monaco for this season’s Champions League group stage,
Modric started out at Dinamo Zagreb and then had four years with Tottenham Hotspur before Real prised him away.
- Mission to recover Emiliano Sala's body and that of his pilot has begunFootball 1 month ago
- Leicester City boss Claude Puel sackedPremier League 3 weeks ago
- Arsenal finally shoot down Manchester UnitedFootball 1 week ago
- Fans hurl heavy insults at Sarri for his 'flawed' tacticsFootball 3 weeks ago
- Golf: The big tee offGolf 6 days ago
- Esther Passaris comes to the rescue of ailing football teamsFootball 2 weeks ago
- Arsene Wenger set for return to football with four offers on the tableFootball 1 month ago