Man City lose Bravo to Achilles injury
Manchester City could be without reserve goalkeeper Claudio Bravo for the rest of the season after the Chilean ruptured an Achilles tendon, the Premier League champions confirmed on Monday.
"Bravo has sustained an Achilles tendon injury in today's training session," City said in a statement.
"He will fly out to Barcelona for further tests on Thursday where the extent of the injury will be examined."
Bravo won two La Liga titles with Barcelona before moving to City in 2016, but an error-strewn first season provoked City to sign Brazilian Ederson from Benfica last year to take over as first-choice 'keeper.
"No matter what happens, or how bad it looks today, life will go on, and tomorrow will certainly be better," Bravo tweeted.
However, Bravo played all six ties as City won the League Cup last season and his absence leaves City short on back-up for Ederson.
Daniel Grimshaw, 20, is the only other keeper in the first-team squad but he has not yet made a senior appearance.
Former City and England number one Joe Hart recently joined Burnley on a permanent deal after spending the past two seasons out on loan while England Under-21s goalkeeper Angus Gunn was sold to Southampton earlier this summer.
The transfer deadline for Premier League clubs has already passed, meaning City can't go into the transfer market for a replacement until January.
- Police target double victories: Defending champions long to narrow 12-point gap with league leaders Butali Sugar WarriorsHockey 1 day ago
- ‘I feel really good’ – Sir Alex Ferguson after emotional returnFootball 10 hours ago
- Alexis Sanchez dubbed 'Manchester United's worst signing in years'Premier League 12 hours ago
- Kenyan female athlete threatens to expose senior athletics federation officialAthletics 10 hours ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Man United and Arsenal fight over German wonderkid dubbed the ‘new Kroos’Football 11 hours ago
- How football clubs can do more to help players battling depressionSports 7 hours ago
- BOXING: Joshua KOs Povetkin in seventh round to retain world heavyweight titlesBoxing 12 hours ago