Half Marathon: World champ Kiptum wins race for deaf
Daniel Kiptum is the men’s 21km Safaricom national deaf half marathon champion.
Kiptum, 34, from Kapsabet braved the scorching Mombasa heat to clock 1:08.96 to become the new champion in an event that saw dozens of runners throw in the towel half way due to the scorching heat.
Kiptum, who is the reigning 10,000m Deaflympic champion having won gold medal in last year’s event held in Turkey was in a class of his own as he snaked through the Mombasa streets in front of his challengers to the podium.
“Mombasa heat was a major challenge as I had to take a lot of water along the way to avoid dehydration,” said Kiptum through an interpreter.
“I did not get strong opposition because my closest challenger Simon Kibai from Uasin Gishu who won gold medal in 5,000 last year in Deaflympic did not travel to Mombasa for the event,” he added.
For his exploits, Kiptum pocketed Sh100,000 handed over to him by the Safaricom Brand Assets and Sponsorship Manager Mishi Wambiji and Marketing Manager, Coast Region Terryson Kaaria.
Martin Gachie from Uasin Gishu was second with a time of 1:09.13 ahead of Peter Toroitich, winner of the event in Meru last year finished third after clocking 1:13.56.
In 21km women, Tuster Kwamesa from Kisii won with a time of 2:15.70. Naibin Mushitoi and Deonidah Akiaga both from Kisii timed 2:15.74 and 2:16.64 for the second and third positions respectively.
In 10km men, Lucas Wanjiru from Kiambu County won with a time of 36.04 to pocket Sh50,000 while Kokobi Omari of Uasin Gishu and Nakuru’s John Mwangi clocking 36.14 and 56.07 in that order.
In 10km women, Rose Mushitoi from Kisii walked with Sh 50,000 after she timed 50.09 to become the new champion. [Ernest Ndunda]
- Shakava: Gor should start early Caf preparations Football 7 hours ago
- Hockey: Debutants Lakers inch closer to women’s top tierHockey 1 day ago
- Ochieng shows how it’s done: Custodian trainer mentors budding talent in KayoleFootball 7 hours ago
- Golf: Why you should know your ballsGolf 1 day ago
- Kiptanui, Kipkirui lined up for Delhi 121km raceAthletics 7 hours ago
- Tottenham forced to delay opening of new stadiumPremier League 1 month ago
- Done deal: Barcelona star set for Man United moveGossip & Rumours 1 month ago