Kenya Ports Authority retain overall title as Kecoso games come to an end
Kenya Ports Authority (KPA) have retained the Mawasiliano Shield in the 39th edition of Kenya Communication Sports Organisations (Kecoso) that ended in Kakamega over the weekend.
The dockers amassed a total of 139 points after winning in golf, darts, netball, pool, basketball (women), swimming (for people living with disabilities), swimming and athletics where they scooped 35 gold, 24 silver and 20 bronze medals.
Despite relinquishing their football and basketball (men) titles they won last year, KPA came back to finish strong in athletics where they dominated every discipline in track and field.
Kenya Civil Aviation Authority (KCAA) came a distant second with 107 points, after winning two gold, 7 silver and 8 bronze medals in athletics, and also being runners up in swimming and darts.
Postal Corporation of Kenya (PCK) won football, scrabble, volleyball and basketball (men), but didn’t participate in athletics and were third overall with 99 points.
Kecoso chairperson Cyril Wayongo praised the sportsmanship shown during the week-long competitions.
“The games have successfully captured the imagination of the Kenyan people through the decades. I’m glad, this year’s event has not been exceptional,” Mr Wayongo said. Communications Authority of Kenya that were fourth (84 points)
.Other corporations that participated in the games were Kenya Airports Authority (80), Ministry of Transport (42), Ministry of ICT (29), Kenya Ferry Services (27), Kenya Maritime Authority (13) and Kenya Film Classification Board (12).
During the competitions, 19-year-old sensation Vincent Mutai won both the 10,000m and 5000m races.
Kenyan international Collins Omae, who also featured for KPA beat Joseph Sanare’s threat to win the 400m race on 47.9. Omae was,however, beaten by his teammate Stephen Kariuki to the 200m race. [Erick Lungai]
- Drama as a football fan becomes a match officialFootball 3 weeks ago
- Ronaldo draws blank on Portugal return in Euro qualifierFootball 2 days ago
- Mourinho created poisonous atmosphere – Sanchez confesses ahead of Chelsea clashFootball 1 month ago
- Atletico manager responds after Ronaldo mocked him with crotch-grabbing celebrationFootball 1 week ago
- Man from Meru wins Sh432, 877 after betting with only 10 shillingsSports 1 month ago
- Arsene Wenger set for return to football with four offers on the tableFootball 1 month ago
- Brendan Rodgers's Premier League return starts with painful defeatFootball 3 weeks ago