Paul Scholes has predicted how Man United's season will end
Paul Scholes does not believe Manchester United has enough firepower to compete for the title this season.
The former Red Devils midfielder has been critical of Jose Mourinho’s style of play since he took over from Louis Van Gaal in 2016 and does not see them topping the likes of Manchester City and Liverpool this season.
Man United finished a distant second in the league last season and the 19-point gap left by derby rivals and champions Manchester City has led Scholes to believe his former side will still languish behind this season.
Scholes told MUTV he “doesn’t see United getting closer to City” for the simple fact that Pep Guardiola’s men have more quality and a great manager.
“City are a really good side, great manager, some great players, a way of playing that they all know about and Manchester United seem to be not too sure what’s going on,” he said.
Man United only managed to sign Fred from Shakhtar Donetsk, Diogo Dalot from Porto and Lee Grant from Stoke, leaving Mourinho frustrated at the board for lack of ‘enough’ signings to be able to match the quality of his rivals.
Scholes added that other teams have made better signings than Man United, which is enough reason for Mourinho to have a difficult campaign.
“When you look at Manchester City, Liverpool, I don’t think United have the quality of those two teams. You don’t really know the team, the players, how they’re going to perform from one week to the next,” Scholes explained.
Man United travel to the Amex Stadium on Sunday to face Brighton.
- Yaya Toure’s agent leaves fans shocked with latest ‘witchdoctor’ tweet on GuardiolaPremier League 2 hours ago
- Kenya moves up five places in latest FIFA rankingsFootball 1 hour ago
- Kipchoge has extra-ordinary muscular and mental strength – renowned athletics coachAthletics 6 hours ago
- Jose Mourinho explains why his captain will not play against Young Boys tonight Football 23 hours ago
- Tottenham captain pleads guilty to 'drunk-driving' [Photos]Football 1 week ago
- Don’t lift ban on Russia, whistleblower warns World Anti-Doping AgencyAthletics 5 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s epic response after teammates told him Messi is betterFootball 1 week ago