Report on MPs' controversial trip to Russia leaves unanswered questions
A report by the National Assembly Sports Committee on the controversial trip to Russia during the 2018 Fifa World Cup has been tabled in Parliament.
In what amounts to an epic rip-off of the taxpayers, the 37-page report tabled by Machakos Town MP Victor Munyaka (pictured) fails to justify the Sh20 million spent by 17 legislators and three members.
Instead, the report details the history of the Fifa World Cup and the teams that qualified for the 2018 edition — facts Kenyans already knew.
The National Assembly speaker Justin Muturi had ordered for the report following public outcry, questioning the decision to spend millions in the guise of bench-marking.
In the end, however, the report fails to address the bench marks the Committee purported to conduct instead rehashed Kenya’s failure to host the Africa Nations Championship at the beginning of the year.
“The government should develop at least eight new ultra-modern stadiums spread across former provinces with a view of hosting major sports events in the future,” reads part of the report.
It continues: “The five Africa Nations Championships (CHAN)stadiums (Kasarani, Nyayo, Machakos, Kipchoge Keino and Kinoru should be completed to Fifa standards and the seven regional stadiums of Kipchoge Keino, Kamariny, Chuka, Karatu-Ndarugu, Wote, Ruringu and Marsabit.”
The report said Harambee Stars should be adequately funded if they have to qualify for the 2022 Fifa World Cup in Qatar.
“They need the technical support and professional coaching services to be able to qualify for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. The ministry and Football Kenya Federation should explore ways of getting private sponsorship and other local clubs to embrace the game in the country,” reads the teams recommendation.
Out of the 20 in the delegation, only nine are listed being members of the Committee and a parliamentary staff. The other nine drawn from the Bunge Sports Club and two staff, whose their identity is unknown.
- Gor Mahia fined – again!Football 7 hours ago
- Yaya Toure’s agent leaves fans shocked with latest ‘witchdoctor’ tweet on GuardiolaPremier League 5 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo red card: What Juventus star said to referee revealedFootball 8 hours ago
- Paul Pogba showers Jose Mourinho with praise following Champions League winFootball 2 hours ago
- Kipchoge has extra-ordinary muscular and mental strength – renowned athletics coachAthletics 9 hours ago
- Jose Mourinho explains why his captain will not play against Young Boys tonight Football 1 day ago
- Tottenham captain pleads guilty to 'drunk-driving' [Photos]Football 1 week ago