Boxing: Kenya Prisons defeat Rift Valley in inter-regional tourney
Prisons floor Rift Valley in regional tournament
Kenya Prisons defeated Rift Valley Region 20-8 to lift the Inter Regional Boxing Championships title at Madison Square Garden, Nakuru over the weekend.
The warders won all their eight bouts on unanimous point-decision and benefited from two walker-overs.
The walk-overs were awarded after the Rift Valley team failed to present boxers in light heavy and super heavyweight against Joseph Odhiambo and Julius Atito.
Earlier, Evanson Kamau of Prisons defeated Martin Njoroge of Nakuru in the light flyweight with Tom Odero also dismissing Kevin Ndung’u of Nakuru.
Other Prison boxers, who won their matches were, bantam Abdul Juma, light William Kamau, light welter Antony Maina, welter Benjamin Mwangangi, middle Erick Otengo and heavyweight Daniel Okoth.
Juma beat Patrick Muoka, Kamau dismissed Emmanuel Ochieng’, Maina defeated Amir Ahmed, Mwangangi hit Silas Ouma, Otengo defeated Mike Jared and Okoth stopped Valentine Mwinami.
Meanwhile, former Boxing Association of Kenya secretary General Isaac Mbote has been elected Nakuru ABC chairman.
Mbote, who was elected unopposed for a one-year term, will be deputised by Maina Kihia while Allan Kamanda will be the new secretary. Rahab Kamau will be his deputy.
Meanwhile, Francesco Pianeta, who has challenged twice for the world heavyweight title, will be former world title-holder Tyson Fury’s next opponent in Belfast on August 18 promoter Frank Warren.
The 33-year-old Italian, who has won 21 of his 40 fights by knockout, will, according to Warren, provide much stiffer opposition than Sefer Seferi, who lasted just four rounds in what was Fury’s comeback fight in June after over two-and-a-half-years out of the ring.
Pianeta’s two world title challenges ended in knockouts, lasting six rounds with Ukrainian great Wladimir Klitschko but then got a right pummelling from Uzbekistan’s Ruslan Chagaev and was counted out in the first round.
“The Seferi fight is history and Pianeta is a far better operator than him,” said Warren.
“His level of opposition tells you that.”
- Tottenham star arrested on suspicion of assaulting girlfriendPremier League 1 hour ago
- Warning shots: Guardiola tells Liverpool what Man City plan to doPremier League 21 hours ago
- Gor Mahia want to take a hike up Mount KenyaFootball 12 hours ago
- Golf-Weekend clubs round up results: Courageous junior girl Jamal floors veterans at NyaliGolf 2 days ago
- Manchester United take action against Pogba for social media postFootball 3 weeks ago
- Brothers to Premier League duo Rashford and Arnold attacked at gunpointPremier League 1 day ago
- How Pogba could still leave Man United – and it’s because of CostaPremier League 4 days ago