Modric blasts English media after Croatia win over England
Croatia captain Luka Modric blasted the English media after leading his nation to their first ever World Cup finals following their win over England on Wednesday.
Kieran Trippier free kick goal gave the Three Lions the lead in the 5th minute before Ivan Perisic’s equalizer in 68th minute to force the match into extra-time.
Mario Mandzukic’s strike from a Perisic header at the top corner of the penalty area ended England’s dream of playing in a World Cup final since 1966 when they lifted the trophy in England.
After the match, Modric suggested that their performances proved wrong the claims that they might be tired after playing extra-time twice previously in this tournament.
Speaking to ITV Sport, Modric said, ‘English journalists, pundits from television, they underestimated Croatia tonight and that was a huge mistake.’
‘All these words from them we take, we were reading and we were saying 'ok, today we will see who will be tired.
‘And like I said they should be more humble and respect more opponents. But we showed again that we not tired, we dominated the game physically, mentally, in all aspects.
‘We should kill the game even before extra-time, and this is an amazing achievement for us. It's a dream come true for us after such a long time.
‘We are in the final, it's the biggest success in Croatian history in sport and we have to be proud.’
Croatia manager Zlatko Dalic also took a swipe at the pundits who thought England will progress to the finals saying that they are not experts.
‘Those experts who thought that England would progress to the final are not experts,’ Dalic said.
‘If they were, they would have known Croatia are the better team.’ He added.
- “I regret lengthy Arsenal stay,” says WengerFootball 8 hours ago
- Liverpool star who went from rags to riches Football 1 day ago
- Kylian Mbappe donates his World Cup earnings to charityWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- Chelsea keeper Courtois: Latest news on the best keeper at the World Cup moving to Real MadridFootball 21 hours ago
- Juventus responds to Zidane’s return rumoursGossip & Rumours 8 hours ago
- Anderson leads locals at MastersGolf 19 hours ago
- Focus shifts to KCB Karen Masters tourneyGolf 1 day ago