Croatia braves English fight to qualify for World Cup final
Croatia reached the World Cup final for the first time after an extra-time goal from Mario Mandzukic gave them a 2-1 win over England in their semi-final on Wednesday.
Ivan Perisic headed the ball into the area, the England defence hesitated and Mandzukic drove his finish past keeper Jordan Pickford with 11 minutes of extra time left to earn them a place in Sunday’s final against France.
England got off to a flying start when Kieran Trippier curled in a free kick after five minutes to put them ahead and they looked more dangerous throughout the first half.
Croatia took control after halftime and hit back when Perisic got in front of his marker to flick in a high cross from Sime Vrsaljko in the 68th minute.
- Alexis Sanchez dubbed 'Manchester United's worst signing in years'Premier League 3 hours ago
- Police target double victories: Defending champions long to narrow 12-point gap with league leaders Butali Sugar WarriorsHockey 1 day ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Man United and Arsenal fight over German wonderkid dubbed the ‘new Kroos’Football 2 hours ago
- Why Chelsea will be forced to make tough changes in the Europa LeaguePremier League 50 minutes ago
- BOXING: Joshua KOs Povetkin in seventh round to retain world heavyweight titlesBoxing 3 hours ago
- Kenyan female athlete threatens to expose senior athletics federation officialAthletics 1 hour ago
- Sofapaka renew rivalry with Ingwe at KasaraniFootball 13 hours ago