Croatia braves English fight to qualify for World Cup final
Croatia reached the World Cup final for the first time after an extra-time goal from Mario Mandzukic gave them a 2-1 win over England in their semi-final on Wednesday.
Ivan Perisic headed the ball into the area, the England defence hesitated and Mandzukic drove his finish past keeper Jordan Pickford with 11 minutes of extra time left to earn them a place in Sunday’s final against France.
England got off to a flying start when Kieran Trippier curled in a free kick after five minutes to put them ahead and they looked more dangerous throughout the first half.
Croatia took control after halftime and hit back when Perisic got in front of his marker to flick in a high cross from Sime Vrsaljko in the 68th minute.
- Mourinho gives sad response when asked if he’ll make more signings this summerFootball 4 hours ago
- IAAF denies attempt to lock out female athletesAthletics 1 day ago
- Paul Pogba set for shock Juventus moveFootball 20 hours ago
- Liverpool devastated as star midfielder set to miss whole season with injurySports 5 hours ago
- Nigerian league postponed indefinitelyFootball 14 hours ago
- Wiyeta out to reclaim Under-16 football titleFootball 14 hours ago
- Ahly cruise to CAF victoryFootball 14 hours ago