Croatia braves English fight to qualify for World Cup final
Croatia reached the World Cup final for the first time after an extra-time goal from Mario Mandzukic gave them a 2-1 win over England in their semi-final on Wednesday.
Ivan Perisic headed the ball into the area, the England defence hesitated and Mandzukic drove his finish past keeper Jordan Pickford with 11 minutes of extra time left to earn them a place in Sunday’s final against France.
England got off to a flying start when Kieran Trippier curled in a free kick after five minutes to put them ahead and they looked more dangerous throughout the first half.
Croatia took control after halftime and hit back when Perisic got in front of his marker to flick in a high cross from Sime Vrsaljko in the 68th minute.
- “I regret lengthy Arsenal stay,” says WengerFootball 8 hours ago
- Kylian Mbappe donates his World Cup earnings to charityWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- Liverpool star who went from rags to riches Football 1 day ago
- Chelsea keeper Courtois: Latest news on the best keeper at the World Cup moving to Real MadridFootball 21 hours ago
- Juventus responds to Zidane’s return rumoursGossip & Rumours 8 hours ago
- Anderson leads locals at MastersGolf 19 hours ago
- Focus shifts to KCB Karen Masters tourneyGolf 1 day ago