Antonio Conte to take Chelsea training on Monday despite belief he will still be sacked
Antonio Conte is set to take Chelsea training today despite the expectation that he won't be in charge once the season starts.
Chelsea have been set to part with Conte this summer and have spent the summer trying to negotiate a deal with ex-Napoli boss Maurizio Sarri to replace him.
They have also targeted a number of transfer targets Sarri has approved.
But neither deal has been finalised leaving Conte still in charge and he will begin preparing Chelsea for the new campaign with today's session, the first of a gruelling pre-season schedule he has planned.
Chelsea players are among those surprised by the bizarre situation and that Conte is still around to put them through their paces as they too thought he would have left.
But he has a year left on his contract and vowed to fulfil his responsibilities as long as he remains head coach.
Conte is digging his heels in, has no intention of resigning and wants his full £9m pay-off to go.
If he is sacked Conte will continue to be paid his salary for up to a year until he finds a new job.
And with all the big vacancies gone, that has left Chelsea facing a hefty compensation bill for Conte and his staff which has led to a stalemate in negotiations.
Conte's relationship with the Chelsea hierarchy broke down over his criticism of the club's transfer policy and he was involved in more tension over the players' pre-season return date.
The Italian didn't want his squad back until today but the club stuck to their guns and Chelsea's non World Cup players returned on Saturday for fitness testing and stretching.
Eddie Newton oversaw the training session involving the clubs younger and academy players. Conte was at Cobham, though not involved with either group of players.
- Athletics: Kinyua appointed Meru Sports Council chiefAthletics 6 hours ago
- Basketball: KPA’s trip to Tanzania in doubtBasketball 5 hours ago
- Sh1.1m raised for noble cause: Chebii swings to victory as Weru registers maiden course Hole-in-OneGolf 1 day ago
- Motorsport: Weekend Hill Climb competition postponed due to unforeseen reasonsSports 5 hours ago
- Champions League: Late Firmino strike gives Liverpool 3-2 win over PSGFootball 5 hours ago
- Africa Athletics Championship: Ndiwa bags 5th Gold medal for Kenya in women’s 10,000m as Aprot takes SilverAthletics 1 month ago
- This is why I rejected Manchester United last month – Jerome BoatengPremier League 6 days ago