Petit points out main difference between Ronaldo and Messi in the World Cup
Emmanuel Petit has explained the major difference between Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi after their contrasting starts to the World Cup.
Ronaldo netted a hat-trick in Portugal's opening match with Spain, before going on to score the only goal of their 1-0 win over Morocco.
Messi on the other hand missed a penalty in Argentina's opening match with Iceland, which they drew 1-1, before going missing in their shocking 3-0 defeat by Croatia.
Many fans of the Barcelona legend were stunned by his poor performances, and Argentina's slow start to this summer's World Cup, but Petit says he isn't surprised one little bit.
"He's not a leader," Petit told Paddy Power News. "He's no Ronaldo in that regard. Messi is one of the best players ever, but he needs to show that mentality.
"He needs to wake up! When things go well with Barcelona he's a terrific player. We've seen it in the Champions League though, when things don't go well, he can disappear on the pitch.
"He's not there anymore. He's not running, he's walking. He's not concerned about the ball. Come on.
"The whole team's body language was so poor, no confidence, no trust between each other. The way they looked, I cannot see Argentina qualifying now.
"It would be a shame to see them qualify, because against Iceland they looked terrible, with no inspiration, nothing at all.
"And the manager, Jorge Sampaoli, has made so many mistakes since the start of the tournament, in choosing his team, making substitutions, everything.
"You remember so many Argentina teams with great players in the past, but this team is so far from those.
"I'm not that surprised though, I've been saying it since before the World Cup, there was no chance they would win it because of that defence. They look terrible."
- Pogba reveals why he held World Cup trophy with shin pad during celebrationsWorld Cup 2018 21 hours ago
- Golf-action moves to Karen course as KCB tourney kicks off-sports-golfGolf 16 hours ago
- Ronaldo targets Champions League glory at new club JuventusFootball 18 hours ago
- Two France fans die in Moscow during violent World Cup celebrationWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- PHOTOS: Man United first pre-season training session in Los AngelesFootball 5 hours ago
- Focus shifts to KCB Karen Masters tourneyGolf 16 hours ago
- Riots, looting spree and accidents taint French World Cup partyWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago