Julen Lopetegui breaks silence after being sacked as Spain boss on eve of World Cup 2018
Julen Lopetegui has admitted he was left "very sad" after he was sacked as Spain boss.
The 51-year-old was named as Real Madrid's new manager on Tuesday - then fired by his national team 24 hours later .
He was due to take charge of Spain's opening World Cup clash against Portugal on Friday but Fernando Hierro will now be in the dugout.
Lopetegui arrived in Madrid in the early hours of Thursday morning as he prepares to officially take over as Zinedine Zidane's replacement.
And as he left Moscow, he added: "We have a magnificent team and hopefully win the World Cup."
Real Madrid legend Hierro meanwhile he will "bravely" take on the challenge of managing his country.
"It is a nice challenge and an exciting one," he said.
"The circumstances are what they are and from now on I accept the responsibility bravely, it can't be any other way.
"We have a group of players who have been together for two years to work towards the World Cup and I have been sporting director, so I understand the motivation is huge.
"We cannot alter two years of hard work in the coming days - from now until the Portugal match, we don't have the ability to change much.
"They key is to change as little as possible. We cannot change anything in two days.
Meanwhile, Spanish giants Real Madrid have revealed that the former Spain national team coach will be unveiled later in the evening as the new club’s head coach.
Statement on their website states:
“Real Madrid CF will present Julen Lopetegui as the new first team manager today, Thursday June 14. The act will take place at 7:00 pm CEST at the Santiago Bernabeu presidential box.”.
- Former cleaner and ex-electrician face off at World CupWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- Colombian pop star robbed valuables worth Shs 79m at World CupWorld Cup 2018 18 hours ago
- English star faces axe against Panama after disappointing performanceWorld Cup 2018 5 hours ago
- Senegal coach Cisse reveals secret weapon to victory over PolandWorld Cup 2018 7 hours ago
- VIDEOS: Song and dance as Portugal, Morocco fans bask in Luzhniki Stadium ahead of crucial matchWorld Cup 2018 4 hours ago
- Ronaldo earns Portugal 1-0 win as Morocco's hopes endFootball 50 minutes ago
- Did you know this interesting fact about Senegal’s 23-man squad for World Cup?World Cup 2018 7 hours ago