Why Germany legend wants Ozil and Gundogan axed from World Cup squad
Legendary midfielder Steffen Effenberg suggested that German stars Mesut Ozil and Ilkay Gundogan should have been axed from the country’s squad for 2018 World Cup in Russia after their controversial meeting with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan last month.
Erdogan has been linked with human rights violation allegations and jailing of journalists. The former Bayern star claims that the two stars went against the values of DFB after a picture of them with the Turkish president surfaced online.
‘When you put everything on your values like those the DFB always transmit, the only decision is to get rid of the two players.’ Steffen said.
The Nationalelf boss Joachim Loew also warned the duo to expect tough times with the fans on Sunday when they play Mexico in their first group stage match.
‘My job now is to bring both players to top form so that they are well prepared,’ Loew said.
‘They will probably be accompanied by some whistles from supporters on Sunday.’ He added.
Gundogan, however, already got the taste of a section of Germany fans’ wrath during their last week’s friendly match against Saudi Arabia. Ozil did not feature in the match.
Loew also admitted that Gundogan was affected by the whistles.
‘OK, it is what it is. I cannot influence the whistles. I would have liked it differently but my job is to get them into the flow and help our team,’ Loew said.
‘He was a bit dejected after the game and we had to build him up a bit. This three-day break before arriving in Russia was good for him.
‘Maybe both can now turn the switch and focus on what is important for us. We will succeed in having them in the form we want them in.’ He added
- Former cleaner and ex-electrician face off at World CupWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- Colombian pop star robbed valuables worth Shs 79m at World CupWorld Cup 2018 18 hours ago
- English star faces axe against Panama after disappointing performanceWorld Cup 2018 5 hours ago
- Senegal coach Cisse reveals secret weapon to victory over PolandWorld Cup 2018 7 hours ago
- VIDEOS: Song and dance as Portugal, Morocco fans bask in Luzhniki Stadium ahead of crucial matchWorld Cup 2018 4 hours ago
- Ronaldo earns Portugal 1-0 win as Morocco's hopes endFootball 50 minutes ago
- Did you know this interesting fact about Senegal’s 23-man squad for World Cup?World Cup 2018 7 hours ago