Buffon confirms he will leave Juventus after 17 years
Veteran Gianluigi Buffon has confirmed that he will leave Juventus this summer after spending incredible 17 years with The Old Lady.
The Italy goalkeeper is set to make his final appearance for the club on Saturday as his side will face off with Hellas Verona. Former Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny will be his replacement for next season.
The legendary star has made 655 appearances for Juventus, winning 11 Serie A titles, a Serie B title after relegation and four consecutive Coppa Italias.
Confirming the news at a press conference, Buffon said, ‘Saturday will be my last game for Juventus. I think it's the best way to end this wonderful adventure’.
‘To end it with another two victories, which are truly important, and to end it with the closeness and accompaniment of Andrea and the whole Juventus family.
‘I cannot thank the president for his kind words. It gives me great pleasure that so many people have come out to see me. My principles have always been honesty, loyalty and to fight against hypocrisy.
‘I'm very emotional, but I arrive today with happiness and fulfilment. I always tried to do my best.’
Buffon however did not confirm if he will retire or continue with his career elsewhere with reports from Italy linking him with a move to Premier League side Liverpool.
‘What will I do? For now I only know Saturday I will play my last game. Andrea Agnelli knows everything that happens around me. He is an advisor.
‘Until a few a days ago I was certain I would retire from football. Now some interesting proposals have arrived.’ He added.
- GSU lift Nakuru County Championships trophyVolleyball and Handball 21 hours ago
- TaeKwondo: Mombasa to host World Taekwondo Demonstration DaySports 5 days ago
- Barcelona star lined up by Arsenal for shock January loanFootball 1 day ago
- Former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger reveals he's ready to start a new job in JanuaryFootball 5 days ago
- Why Harambee Stars have not received Sh50 million despite 3-0 win over Ethiopia Football 1 week ago
- 220 MILLION EUROS! Barcelona to meet shock Neymar release clauseFootball 4 days ago
- Is athletics legend a victim of his trust?Athletics 3 days ago