Bounasser wins Vienna marathon as Kimetto drops out
Morocco's Salaheddine Bounasser was the surprise winner of the Vienna marathon on Sunday while world record holder Dennis Kimetto's injury frustration continued as he failed to finish.
Bounasser, who won in two hours, nine minutes and 29 seconds, and Kenya's Ishmael Bushendich broke away from the rest of the pack as they passed the Ernest Happel stadium.
They raced side-by-side for around 20 minutes before Bounasser made his move at the 39-kilometre mark and left the Kenyan in his wake. Bushendich finished second in 2:10:03 and his fellow Kenyan Samwel Maswai was third.
Kimetto, who ran a world record of 2:02:57 in Berlin 2014, was hoping to rekindle his career in Vienna after a series of injury frustrations.
The 34-year-old has not finished a marathon since London in 2016 and suffered another happy day as he also dropped out in Vienna.
Kimetto was clearly limping as he lost touch with the leading pack around halfway through the race and he dropped out after one hour and 20 minutes.
- KDF stage brilliant shows in MombasaBoxing 1 hour ago
- Big shots set to clash in KisumuBasketball 3 days ago
- E. Guinea thrown out, H. Starlets qualifyFootball 3 days ago
- How Kalonzo Musyoka can make Ukambani soccer great againFootball 2 days ago
- ‘This was the hardest decision of my career’ – Pep GuardiolaPremier League 23 hours ago
- Semenya's case delays gender rule executionAthletics 3 days ago
- Teams to battle for Kenya Volleyball Federation league title national confirmedVolleyball and Handball 43 minutes ago