Bounasser wins Vienna marathon as Kimetto drops out
Morocco's Salaheddine Bounasser was the surprise winner of the Vienna marathon on Sunday while world record holder Dennis Kimetto's injury frustration continued as he failed to finish.
Bounasser, who won in two hours, nine minutes and 29 seconds, and Kenya's Ishmael Bushendich broke away from the rest of the pack as they passed the Ernest Happel stadium.
They raced side-by-side for around 20 minutes before Bounasser made his move at the 39-kilometre mark and left the Kenyan in his wake. Bushendich finished second in 2:10:03 and his fellow Kenyan Samwel Maswai was third.
Kimetto, who ran a world record of 2:02:57 in Berlin 2014, was hoping to rekindle his career in Vienna after a series of injury frustrations.
The 34-year-old has not finished a marathon since London in 2016 and suffered another happy day as he also dropped out in Vienna.
Kimetto was clearly limping as he lost touch with the leading pack around halfway through the race and he dropped out after one hour and 20 minutes.
- Cavalry Cup set to light up Manyatta Polo Club in GilgilSports 4 hours ago
- Anthony Joshua in heated confrontation with Miller during Povetkin face-off eventBoxing 4 weeks ago
- Hail Kenya’s shooting stars: Local sharpshooters post superb display in South AfricaSports 4 hours ago
- Netball: Kenya lose to hosts Zambia in continental openerVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- Emotional send off for hero BettAthletics 4 hours ago
- Retired President Moi mourns Bett's demiseAthletics 6 days ago
- Gor march closer to league winFootball 4 hours ago