The amount of money Kipchoge and Vivian Cheruiyot took home after London Marathon victory
Eliud Kipchoge won the London Marathon for the third time on Sunday, with Mo Farah breaking the British record as he finished third, while there was a surprise victory for Vivian Cheruiyot in the women’s race.
Kipchoge, who skipped last year’s race to attempt a sub-two minute marathon in Italy, bagged two massive cash prize wins.
He won $55,000 (approx Khs 5.5 Million) for crossing the line first, while Ethiopia's Tola Shura Kitata and third placed, Britain's Mo Farah collected $30,000 and $22,500 respectively.
But a bonus $100,000 (approx KES 10 Million) was on offer to any competitor in the men’s race who ran a sub-2:05:00 time.
Luckily for Kipchoge he initially crossed the line at the unofficial time of two hours, four minutes and 16 seconds.
Vivian Cheruiyot was the victor in the women's contest in a time of 2hrs 18min 31sec ahead of compatriot Brigid Kosgei (2:20:13), and Ethiopia's Tadelech Bekele (2:21:40) to win $55,000 (Khs 5.5 Million) and $75,000 (approx sh 7.5 Million) as bonus for recording a sub 2:20:00 time.
Second place in each received $30,000, third got $22,500, fourth $15,000.
- Ndege, Mariga brave raging winds to bag Jamhuri titlesGolf 1 day ago
- Golf: Bollo bolts team to Safari tour Victory Golf 1 day ago
- Pogba sends weird message to Mourinho after his sackingFootball 1 hour ago
- Police look into alleged anti-Semitic chanting after Chelsea matchFootball 18 hours ago
- UEFA Europa League draw - round of 32 draw resultsFootball 5 hours ago
- Mourinho offered opportunity to leave Manchester UnitedFootball 3 hours ago
- Mourinho FINALLY reveals why they were beaten by Liverpool Football 1 day ago