The amount of money Kipchoge and Vivian Cheruiyot took home after London Marathon victory
Eliud Kipchoge won the London Marathon for the third time on Sunday, with Mo Farah breaking the British record as he finished third, while there was a surprise victory for Vivian Cheruiyot in the women’s race.
Kipchoge, who skipped last year’s race to attempt a sub-two minute marathon in Italy, bagged two massive cash prize wins.
He won $55,000 (approx Khs 5.5 Million) for crossing the line first, while Ethiopia's Tola Shura Kitata and third placed, Britain's Mo Farah collected $30,000 and $22,500 respectively.
But a bonus $100,000 (approx KES 10 Million) was on offer to any competitor in the men’s race who ran a sub-2:05:00 time.
Luckily for Kipchoge he initially crossed the line at the unofficial time of two hours, four minutes and 16 seconds.
Vivian Cheruiyot was the victor in the women's contest in a time of 2hrs 18min 31sec ahead of compatriot Brigid Kosgei (2:20:13), and Ethiopia's Tadelech Bekele (2:21:40) to win $55,000 (Khs 5.5 Million) and $75,000 (approx sh 7.5 Million) as bonus for recording a sub 2:20:00 time.
Second place in each received $30,000, third got $22,500, fourth $15,000.
- Two France fans die in Moscow during violent World Cup celebrationWorld Cup 2018 6 hours ago
- Manchester United set to sign Croatia starFootball 4 hours ago
- France 4 - 2 Croatia: Identity of World Cup pitch invaders REVEALEDWorld Cup 2018 19 hours ago
- Football legends join Dalic in condemning referee decisions in World Cup finalWorld Cup 2018 4 hours ago
- France beat Croatia to win 2018 Fifa World Cup in MoscowWorld Cup 2018 20 hours ago
- France vs Croatia lineups as Fans arrive ahead of World Cup Final World Cup 2018 22 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo 'wanted to go elsewhere' but had to settle for Juventus Football 3 hours ago