The amount of money Kipchoge and Vivian Cheruiyot took home after London Marathon victory
Eliud Kipchoge won the London Marathon for the third time on Sunday, with Mo Farah breaking the British record as he finished third, while there was a surprise victory for Vivian Cheruiyot in the women’s race.
Kipchoge, who skipped last year’s race to attempt a sub-two minute marathon in Italy, bagged two massive cash prize wins.
He won $55,000 (approx Khs 5.5 Million) for crossing the line first, while Ethiopia's Tola Shura Kitata and third placed, Britain's Mo Farah collected $30,000 and $22,500 respectively.
But a bonus $100,000 (approx KES 10 Million) was on offer to any competitor in the men’s race who ran a sub-2:05:00 time.
Luckily for Kipchoge he initially crossed the line at the unofficial time of two hours, four minutes and 16 seconds.
Vivian Cheruiyot was the victor in the women's contest in a time of 2hrs 18min 31sec ahead of compatriot Brigid Kosgei (2:20:13), and Ethiopia's Tadelech Bekele (2:21:40) to win $55,000 (Khs 5.5 Million) and $75,000 (approx sh 7.5 Million) as bonus for recording a sub 2:20:00 time.
Second place in each received $30,000, third got $22,500, fourth $15,000.
- Ochieng' prepares for life after footballFootball 21 hours ago
- City lawyer Donald Kipkorir publishes opinion on why some athletes go from riches to rags on retirementAthletics 22 hours ago
- Hockey: UOE bag maximum points in city tourHockey 1 day ago
- Olunga’s new club Kashiwa Reysol fighting hard to avoid relegationFootball 1 hour ago
- Treasury holds onto Sh8b as Sports suffer: Harambee Stars coach yet to be paid for two monthsFootball 1 day ago
- Athletics: Elite marathoners head to MombasaRugby 21 hours ago
- Athletics: Second Kabarak Half Marathon nets Sh5mAthletics 22 hours ago