Kariobangi Sharks 1-2 Kakamega Homeboyz: Kikoyo's strike sink Sharks at Toyoyo
Ugandan import Hassan Kikoyo came off the bench to score a match winner as Kakamega Homeboyz beat Kariobangi Sharks 2-1 in today's Kenyan Premier League match at Camp Toyoyo.
Paul Kamau had canceled out Noah Wafula's opener before Kikoyo netted a wonder goal to earn Homeboyz the maximum points.
"Hassan is my secret weapon. Whenever I brings him on, he scores and that is why he looked for me to celebrate the goal together," said Homeboyz coach Mike Mururi.
"It was an important win for us and we hope to continue with the same momentum."
His Sharks counterpart William Muluya said: "We need the composure to start getting positive results. An excellent goal from Homeboyz worked out for them. The only thing we need to improve is to get positive results, nothing else.”
Noah Wafula put the visitors ahead in the 36th minute when he latched on Keiphas Mutuu's cross to squeeze the ball past Sharks goalkeeper John Oyemba.
Eric Kapaito could have drawn level on the stroke of halftime but his effort at the edge of the box hit the post with the rebound landing into the safe hands of goalkeeper Mac Arthur Arakaza.
Esiye Eston had a chance to double the lead two minutes into the second half but his powerful shot was blocked by a self-sacrificing Sharks' defender in the box.
However, overlapping defender Paul Kamau restored parity in the 54th minute when he raced down the right flank, cut inside before unleashing a screamer that flew past a hapless Arakaza.
Francis Manga then saw his long range short easily gathered by Homeboyz keeper as Sharks intensified their attack before Wafula forced a fine save from Oyemba on the opposite end.
But Homeboyz regained the lead in the 78th minute through Hassan Kikoyo, barely four minutes after replacing Mutuu.
The former Muhoroni Youth man received a ball from Wycliffe Opondo, shrugged off a challenge off his marker before steering home an excellent effort that left the goalkeeper stranded.
- Swimming: Kioko stars in Coast Novice galaSports 7 hours ago
- Basketball: Zetech dribble closer to playoffs slotBasketball 7 hours ago
- Gary Neville warns Paul Pogba, fuels transfer speculationPremier League 1 week ago
- Kenya beat Malawi in a friendly matchFootball 1 week ago
- Stars play Malawi Flames today: Bandari’s Shikalo and Sofapaka’s Mutamba in line for starting rolesFootball 1 week ago
- Migne names Stars squad for Ethiopia Afcon qualifierFootball 2 days ago
- Athletics: Lorita and Cherono triumph at annual Mombasa marathonAthletics 7 hours ago