Sports administration: Sports ministry officials tossed out of NSSF offices
Employees of the Ministry of Sports have been locked out of their offices following a disagreement with the landlord.
The employees, who are based at the National Social Security Fund (NSSF) building’s 24th floor, found their offices locked when they arrived for work yesterday morning.
The floor also houses the sports registrar’s office and the sports tribunal.
A number of employees who spoke to Standard Sports said they were shocked to find their offices locked on Monday morning. “We were in the office on Friday and left as usual. But when we returned on Monday we found the offices locked. We do not understand why this has happened,” said one of the employees, who sought anonymity.
Another employee said the ministry had been given a 14-day notice to sign a new lease.
Other sources said the disagreement between the landlord and the ministry was a result of the latter insisting on a one-year lease while the former wanted a longer one. “The management of the building wanted us to sign a three or five-year lease but the ministry was only willing to sign for a year,” our sources said.
Acting Commissioner of Sports Japson Gitonga, whose office is also housed in the building, admitted that there was an issue with the landlord, but they were working on resolving it.
“It is a small misunderstanding with the landlord. It will be sorted out quickly. It is not a big deal,” he said.
The ministry’s headquarters are housed at Kencom House, where the top officials; Sports Cabinet Secretary Richard Echesa and Permanent Secretary Peter Kaberia operate from.
Apart from the latest disagreement, ministry staff have had to endure operating in the dark after power was disconnected more than two months ago. This was only restored last Friday after ministry staff were forced to type letters, some confidential, in cyber cafes. “We have had no power for a long time and this was only restored last Friday. Top ministry officials knew the situation but it just took long to resolve,” said another employee.
Should the standoff continue, the Sports Tribunal will not be able to have its weekly cases conducted every Thursday.
- Mourinho gives sad response when asked if he’ll make more signings this summerFootball 1 hour ago
- Liverpool star could miss entire season - KloppFootball 13 hours ago
- Ahly cruise to CAF victoryFootball 10 hours ago
- Nigerian league postponed indefinitelyFootball 10 hours ago
- Mourinho says injured new player to miss for two months Gossip & Rumours 22 minutes ago
- Paul Pogba set for shock Juventus moveFootball 16 hours ago
- Wiyeta out to reclaim Under-16 football titleFootball 10 hours ago