Commonwealth Games: Kenya Men and women team fail to impress as focus shifts to Birmingham
Marathon caps dismal show at the Commonwealth Games with a return of four gold, seven silver and six bronze medals representing a new low at the event.
The Commonwealth Games is no longer the ‘Friendly’ Games given the stiff competition — where in distance running, it’s billed a mini-world championships minus Ethiopians.
Kenya finished a lowly 14th as the 21st Commonwealth Games ended in Gold Coast, Australia, yesterday.
The 165-member squad bagged 17 medals (four gold, seven silver and six bronze), where hosts topped the standings with 196 medals (80 gold, 57 silver and 59 bronze).
Kenya were comprehensively beaten in the men and women marathon event yesterday to cap a dismal showing in Australia.
Homeboy and men’s defending champion Michael Shelley won the race in 2:16.46 ahead of Uganda’s Solomon Mutai (2:19.02) and Robbie Simpson (2:19.36) of Scotland.
Kenyans Julius Karinga (2:24.26) and Kenneth Mungara (2:25.42) finished ninth and tenth
In women’s race, Namibia’s Helalla Jonannes (2:32.40) and Australians Lisa Weightman (2:33.23) and Jessica Trengove (2:34.09) swept the podium.
Kenya’s Shella Jerotich (2:36.19) finished fourth while Shelmith Muriuki 2:47.53) returned tenth. Hellen Nzembi did not finish the race.
At the 20th Commonwealth Games in Glasgow Scotland in 2014, Kenya finished in ninth place with 24 medals nine of them gold, ten silver and five bronze in 21 sports disciplines.
- Why Harambee Stars have not received Sh50 million despite 3-0 win over Ethiopia Football 5 days ago
- UFC: Russian Khabib defeats McGregorFootball 1 week ago
- Shocking death statistics of World Cup 2022 stadium workers revealedFootball 4 days ago
- Kenya 3-0 Ethiopia: Pictures of DP Ruto celebrating wildly go viral Football 5 days ago
- High school student dies after on-pitch collision with teammateFootball 3 days ago
- Matasi's stardom: Kenyan international lauds St. Georges move as dream come trueFootball 22 hours ago
- Problems pile for Man United, Jose Mourinho could miss Chelsea showdownFootball 2 days ago