Canoeing: Under 17 Canoeing team for Barcelona picked
Kenya Canoe youth team to Spain selected
The Kenya Under-17 Youth Canoe Olympic games qualifiers have been concluded at the White Water Sports, Sagana River, Kirinyaga County.
Kelvin Irungu, who made a clean run of 0.39 seconds on the 150m course, leads the way to represent the country in Barcelona Spain next month.
Also in the squad are Billy Gicheru, who returned 0.46 seconds and Levis Karanja, who clocked 0.50 seconds.
The only female contender Frida Wangechi, who managed the course in 1.23 seconds plus a 50 second penalty, completes the squad.
The Kenyan team is expected in Barcelona by April 6 for the global competition.
Confirming the squad to Standard Sports, the National Rowing and Canoe Association Team Manager Sammy Kanyuira, said preparations for the global event have began.
“This is where the Youth Canoe Olympic continental qualifiers will take place and we will be sending a team of four competitors,” said Kanyuira
Wangechi, a student at the nearby Rukanga Day Mixed Secondary School, said she was determined to lower her time ahead of the global event.
“Between now and the competition date, I have my work cut out to better my performance,” she said.
The Kenyans will battle for the four Olympic slots allocated to Africa in Barcelona. The Youth Olympics will be held in Argentina.
“We will be happy to have any of our four members or the entire team qualify to represent Africa in Argentina,” Kanyuira said.
Titus Mukundi is the team's coach, Harrison Gicheru the physiotherapist while the association’s Secretary General Octavius Njue will be the team leader.
The selected team was hosted to a luncheon at Havila Resort, off the banks of Sagana River, by its proprietor Alexander Chege as a motivation for others to take up the sport. [Kamau Munene]
- Football: How Kenyans left others hurting in Copa tournamentFootball 11 hours ago
- LaLiga star suffers stroke, rushed to hospitalFootball 1 month ago
- Gor Mahia banking on Goodison Park experience against NyasaFootball 2 weeks ago
- Gor inch closer to CAF group stages after beating Nigeria’s Lobi Stars 3-1Football 15 hours ago
- Mourinho advised to drop Pogba from Liverpool clashFootball 3 days ago
- Rugby: Western Bulls, USIU maintain unbeaten record Rugby 11 hours ago
- View Starting Lineups - Liverpool vs Man Utd at 7pmFootball 17 hours ago