Nacional fans banned for mocking Chapecoense plane crash
Nacional de Montevideo have received a three-match no-fan ban after some of their supporters mocked Chapecoense over the plane crash that wiped out most of the Brazilian club's squad in 2016.
The South American football confederation (Conmebol) made the ruling Tuesday after Nacional fans sang songs and made gestures at Chapecoense's stadium during a Copa Libertadores game on January 31.
The Brazilian club asked Conmebol to throw Nacional out of the competition, but the confederation instead banned the Uruguayan club's fans from their next three games in the competition and fined the club $80,000 dollars (65,000 euros).
The plane carrying the Chapecoense team to a Copa Suamericana semi-final crashed into a mountain in Medellin, Colombia, killing 71 people including most of the team in November 2016.
- Ashley and Njenga win in Karen tourney for juniorsGolf 2 days ago
- Transition: Family prepares to give star athlete befitting send-offAthletics 1 week ago
- Manchester United 'in talks' with Fenerbahce over star defender Football 2 days ago
- Chelsea star completes Everton movePremier League 1 week ago
- Real Madrid fans vote on who they want to replace Cristiano RonaldoFootball 3 weeks ago
- Why volleyball queen Janet Wanja and mzungu boyfriend broke upGossip & Rumours 1 day ago
- Zinedine Zidane wants to be Man United coach immediately season ends – It’s the gossip Football 3 days ago