Boxing: Zarika scoops SJAK award
World Boxing Council (WBC) Super bantamweight women champion, Fatuma ‘Iron Fist’ Zarika is the SJAK Sports Personality of the Month for December 2017.
Zarika beat chess player, Joyce Nyaruai, and Safari Rally speedster, Carl Tundo, to be the sixth recipient of the prize.
The 34-year-old pugilist was unanimously voted by a panel of journalists following her successful title defence against Zambian Catherine Phiri at the Carnivore Grounds in Nairobi on December 2.
“I was happy to retain the belt. The win was an inspiration that hard work pays in the end. I’m hoping to defend the title again this year,” Zarika said. Zarika received the monthly award on Thursday in Nairobi.
“This is a great surprise. This truly goes a long way to inspire and motivate me to work harder. It is also an inspiration to other boxers,” she said.
- Joho to splash Sh1.2b on rotting Mombasa stadiumSports 14 hours ago
- Mourinho reveals why Sanchez missed United's embarrassing 3-2 defeat to BrightonFootball 19 hours ago
- Kenya reign supreme again at East Africa: Kenyan schools bag ten titles to retain overall East Africa crownSports 14 hours ago
- East Africa Secondary Schools: St Anthony’s and Trans Nzoia crowned hocky champsHockey 1 day ago
- Fatigue sets in at Gor Mahia: No time to rest for Gor Mahia as Sofapaka, AFC come callingFootball 14 hours ago
- Salah in diving storm as Liverpool win at PalacePremier League 3 hours ago
- Golf: Kenya Open new series starts with a bang in MombasaGolf 1 day ago