Swift South Africans condemn Kenya to fifth place in Sydney Sevens
Kenya lose to South Africans in main cup match
Kenya yesterday bowed out of the Main Cup quarterfinals after losing 17-0 to South Africa on the final day of the Sydney Sevens in Australia.
Two tries by Seabelo Senatla and one by Tim Agaba coupled with a conversion by Justin Geduld was all the South Africans needed to defeat Kenya. Shujaa put up an improved show after a rather disastrous performance in Cape Town Sevens last December, where they picked only three points.
The South Africans led 10-0 at the break and were set to meet Australia in the final yesterday night. They defeated USA 35-7 in the semifinals, while Australia beat Argentina 28-0 in the other semi.
This was the third meeting between the two teams (Kenya and South Africa) this season. In all matches, the South Africans are yet to drop guard. They won 48-5 in Dubai Sevens and 26-7 in Cape Town series.
Kenya lost 24-5 to former World champions Fiji in the fifth place battle.
Shujaa lost 7-5 to Argentina in their opening encounter in a group that also had France and 2009 champions Wales.
In their second preliminary match, Kenya recovered to dismiss France 17-14 before defeating Wales 26-12 in their final group match.
The comeback of former captain Andrew Amonde, who missed the Dubai and Cape Town legs, must have boosted the confidence of the side as they played with a lot of focus.
The combination of Amonde, captain Oscar Ouma, Eden Agero, vice-captain Dan Sikuta and the versatile Sammy Oliech helped in steadying the Kenyan ship
Action moves to Canada for the Hamilton Sevens this weekend. [Ben Ahenda]
- Swimming: Aga Khan Academy dominate Coast age group galaSports 2 months ago
- How Guardiola beat Mourinho to Barca job, sparking decade-long rivalryFootball 1 month ago
- Man United striker Lukaku has finally spoken about his body, reveals his problemFootball 4 days ago
- Red-hot Keitany wins NY MarathonAthletics 1 month ago
- FIFA hands Ghana FA boss Nyantakyi life banFootball 1 month ago
- Sterling responds to racial attack at Chelsea, reveals who is to blameFootball 5 days ago
- Champs KPA one step away from semisBasketball 1 month ago