Telkom and Ghanaian cops draw
Champions Telkom shelved their ambitions of winning the Africa Cup of Clubs Championships title on a clean slate after yesterday's 1-1 draw against Ghana Police.
The clash was tightly contested at Theodosia Okoh Hockey Stadium in Accra, Ghana.
The nine-time continental winners were on course until Ghanaian Police captain Nafisatu Umaru drew first blood in the 48th minute to stain their run. Telkom, who make the bulk of the national women’s team, should have marked her well as she has been staging brilliant attacks. This was the second time in less than three months that Umaru has tormented Kenyans. She scored Ghana’s winning goal in last October’s Africa Cup of Nations cum World Cup qualifiers, subjecting Kenyans to a 2-1 defeat.
Telkom had taken the lead through Audrey Omaido seconds to the half-time break but failed to hold on to it, allowing the Ghanaian cops to restore parity in the last quarter. Team coach Jos Openda expressed displeasure over the performance, saying they had it all but lost focus. “It was a mistake conceding that goal, we had it all. When we scored first, I knew that were on the right track," said Openda.
- Police target double victories: Defending champions long to narrow 12-point gap with league leaders Butali Sugar WarriorsHockey 1 day ago
- Sofapaka renew rivalry with Ingwe at KasaraniFootball 11 hours ago
- BOXING: Joshua KOs Povetkin in seventh round to retain world heavyweight titlesBoxing 51 minutes ago
- World Cup star Luka Modric accepts eight-month prison sentencePremier League 22 hours ago
- Pogba’s Man United future in fresh doubt as Barcelona plan 'full-scale assault' Premier League 1 day ago
- Tottenham coach confirms he could be fired within a weekPremier League 1 day ago
- Kenya Open: Kibet and Okutoyi win Kenya Open titlesTennis 11 hours ago