Real Madrid crisis deepens with home defeat to Villarreal
Stumbling La Liga champions Real Madrid slumped to a second defeat in three league games by losing 1-0 to Villarreal as their hapless title defence continued on a rain swept Saturday at a sparsely attended Santiago Bernabeu.
Zinedine Zidane's side dominated the game but succumbed to an 87th minute strike from Pablo Fornals, who chipped over goalkeeper Keylor Navas on the rebound after a lightning quick counterattack as the visitors cleared a Real corner.
Madrid had a penalty appeal waved away in the first half when visiting defender Alvaro Gonzalez appeared to block a shot from Gareth Bale with his arm. Cristiano Ronaldo was thwarted from close range on the stroke of halftime by a breathtaking save from Villarreal goalkeeper Sergio Asenjo.
Real remain fourth in the Liga standings on 32 points and are only one point and one place above Villarreal. They could be a stunning 19 points behind runaway leaders Barcelona if Ernesto Valverde's side beat Real Sociedad on Sunday.
Later on Saturday, second-placed Atletico Madrid play away to Eibar while third-placed Valencia visit Deportivo La Coruna.
- Germany rescue World Cup hopes with dramatic win over SwedenWorld Cup 2018 17 hours ago
- Lukaku, Hazard power Belgium to brink of World Cup last 16 after a 5-2 romp against TunisiaWorld Cup 2018 22 hours ago
- Rugby: MPs offer to mediate Kenya Sevens, Brand Kenya disputeRugby 16 hours ago
- Man United and Man City to battle for PSG superstarWorld Cup 2018 6 hours ago
- BASKETBALL: Kenya defend boys’ under-18 Africa Zone Five titleBasketball 15 hours ago
- “It might be my last World Cup,” says PogbaWorld Cup 2018 1 hour ago
- Petit points out main difference between Ronaldo and Messi in the World CupWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago