Real Madrid crisis deepens with home defeat to Villarreal
Stumbling La Liga champions Real Madrid slumped to a second defeat in three league games by losing 1-0 to Villarreal as their hapless title defence continued on a rain swept Saturday at a sparsely attended Santiago Bernabeu.
Zinedine Zidane's side dominated the game but succumbed to an 87th minute strike from Pablo Fornals, who chipped over goalkeeper Keylor Navas on the rebound after a lightning quick counterattack as the visitors cleared a Real corner.
Madrid had a penalty appeal waved away in the first half when visiting defender Alvaro Gonzalez appeared to block a shot from Gareth Bale with his arm. Cristiano Ronaldo was thwarted from close range on the stroke of halftime by a breathtaking save from Villarreal goalkeeper Sergio Asenjo.
Real remain fourth in the Liga standings on 32 points and are only one point and one place above Villarreal. They could be a stunning 19 points behind runaway leaders Barcelona if Ernesto Valverde's side beat Real Sociedad on Sunday.
Later on Saturday, second-placed Atletico Madrid play away to Eibar while third-placed Valencia visit Deportivo La Coruna.
- Gor Mahia fined – again!Football 8 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo red card: What Juventus star said to referee revealedFootball 9 hours ago
- Yaya Toure’s agent leaves fans shocked with latest ‘witchdoctor’ tweet on GuardiolaPremier League 7 hours ago
- Paul Pogba showers Jose Mourinho with praise following Champions League winFootball 3 hours ago
- Kipchoge has extra-ordinary muscular and mental strength – renowned athletics coachAthletics 11 hours ago
- Jose Mourinho explains why his captain will not play against Young Boys tonight Football 1 day ago
- Tottenham captain pleads guilty to 'drunk-driving' [Photos]Football 1 week ago