Liverpool to sign Southampton’s defender for a record breaking free
Virgil van Dijk has spoken of his joy at becoming a Liverpool player, after agreeing a world record switch from Southampton.
The Dutchman has become the most expensive defender on the planet after the Reds confirmed they had agreed a £75m deal with Southampton for a player they'd initially tried to sign in the summer.
Van Dijk will officially become a Reds player when the transfer window opens on January 1, and immediately after Liverpool had announced the news on their website the defender took to Instagram to post an image of him with his new shirt.
"Delighted and honoured to have agreed to become a Liverpool FC player!" he wrote.
"Today is a proud day for me and my family as I join one of the biggest clubs in world football!
"I can’t wait to pull on the famous red shirt for the first time in front of the Kop and will give everything I have to try and help this great club achieve something special in the years to come.
"I would also like to take this opportunity to say thank you to Les Reed, the board, manager, players, fans and everyone at Southampton.
"I will always be indebted to the club for giving me the opportunity to play in the Premier League and despite a difficult last few months I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Saints and have made friends for life at the club.
"Thank you for everything.
"Thank you for all the messages of support.
Southampton - who accused Liverpool of tapping up Van Dijk when they initially made a move for him in the summer - released a brief statement about the deal on their website.
"Southampton Football Club can confirm it has reached an agreement with Liverpool over the transfer of Virgil van Dijk," it read.
"Southampton have agreed a fee that will set a new world-record for a defender.
"The club wishes Virgil well in his future when the deal is completed on January 1st 2018."
- Big shots in chase for league titleHockey 1 day ago
- 'Passion, belief and discipline': He is an avid reader and motivational speaker on investmentAthletics 18 minutes ago
- Boost for school games: Participants urged to take the games seriously and use their talent to benefitSports 21 minutes ago
- Migne needs time to turn around Harambee Stars, says EchesaFootball 27 minutes ago
- Champions League final line-ups: Real Madrid vs Liverpool at 9:45pm on KTN HomeFootball 3 hours ago
- PHOTOS: Liverpool fans attacked by hooligans ahead of Champions League finalFootball 10 hours ago